Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have read on other sites that it will work. You have to partially disassemble the smoke maker and attach a tube to a copper tube inside. The drawback is the copper tube gets very hot so you can't let it run too long, or so I was told. I don't know why someone hasn't made a cheap tester for the home mechanic.

Ed

·
Registered
10,953 Posts
I have read on other sites that it will work. You have to partially disassemble the smoke maker and attach a tube to a copper tube inside. The drawback is the copper tube gets very hot so you can't let it run too long, or so I was told. I don't know why someone hasn't made a cheap tester for the home mechanic.

Ed
"why someone hasn't made a cheap tester for the home mechanic."

--------------------
There is:

It's called a cigar and available to those of age.:rolleyes2:

Hack, hack, cough, etc.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scout1,
Thanks for the reply. I did some study and found even the smallest party fogger uses 400 watts of power and generates too much smoke for our use. I am giving it up.

Chartmaker,
Cigarette puffing may bring back old memories from the smoking days and be good for my mental health .........

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
I am not a regular smoker, but enjoy a good cigar a few times a year. They do work well for smoke testing.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the video. I suppose pressurization comes from blowing into the line. And I will have to look for smoke leak while blowing. I need to smoke EVAP and not sure if I want to smoke near the fuel tank.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Paker,
It is a little difficult for the home mechanic to test the EVAPs system. When the car is off the EVAP system valves open. This is to prevent the system from over pressurizing while sitting out in the sun. You need the Ford tester or a high end diagnostic tester to program the valve closed for testing. I have been through this and luckily I found the purge valve to be bad. Other common problems could be the gas cap, filler neck is known to crack and the small vacuum line running from the vacuum source block over to the purge valve. The vacuum source block is located on the drivers firewall. Good luck.

Ed

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to think throwing parts at a problem was foolish. But I think it's actually wise in this case.

I found an interesting post, Post #13 of this thread.
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-...cap-still-won-t-clear-code-2.html#post1566517
He had a "large leak" code. He borrowed a smoke machine and went over EVAP, but found no leak. Apparently, EVAP leak is too small for 1-2 psi smoke to escape. Makes sense.

In this case, as Post #13 said, throwing parts seems to be the best strategy. (I already checked the wiring/connectors/hoses/gas cap from another Ford) The parts that can go bad are:

1) fuel tank pressure sensor (faulty reading)
2) canister purge solenoid valve (not closing fully)
3) canister vent valve (not closing fully)

Only 2) and 3) have moving components, are primary suspects. JY parts are less than $10 each.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts