Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 wagon and I had the rotors turned 4 months ago. They were fine for a while but now I get very violent shaking from the front end when I brake(25 mph and up), more than the usual vibration from warped rotors. I also have a very harsh ride, from low speed to high speed. When I did the brakes I also installed new Monroe struts. The car doesn't wallow and it rides fairly smooth on the highway but around town you feel every crack and bump. I checked the sub frame mounts and they look ok. Visually the control arm bushings look ok. But aren't they what determines ride quality? The struts are mainly for swaying or wallowing, aren't they? I do have a slight squeek in the right side when I hit a bump. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Have you checked wheel bearings and motor mounts? Tie rods can cause some shaking as well, especially if you have warped rotors to get them going...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked wheel bearings and motor mounts? Tie rods can cause some shaking as well, especially if you have warped rotors to get them going...
Motor mounts seem fine. When the engine is idling I rev it up and it doesn't seem to torque more than usual. As far as bearings I'm not quite sure how to check them. The wheels do seem to turn smoothly when jacked up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I looked at the tie rod ends when I had the car up and they seem ok. There is a little play as the wheel is turned in and out but I think that's the allowed play in the steering rack. Maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch and it's not coming from the ball joints at the end of the tie rods.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Check to see if the rotors are getting gummed up from the pads. If you find a lonely stretch of road and do a few 55mph to 5mph hard brakes (don't lock the tires or completely stop) with a little cooling off in between the heat and friction can clean them off and might improve your vibration. If it doesn't help at least it was free and didn't take much time :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'd like to try it but it shakes so violently at high sppeds I'm afraid the front end might fall apart if I hit the brakes hard.

·
Banned
323 Posts
Shaking could be tires out of balance, bad inner or outer tie rods, warped rotors, struts.....the struts have a lot to do with handling as well as absorbing bumps...if it started after the struts and rotors were installed, they would be my primary suspects. Bad bearings would make a growling noise, and bad motor mounts would not affect your braking or handling.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just took apart the driver's side and tomorrow I'll do the passenger's. I checked the tie rods and they're fine. I checked the ball joint and it's fine. I checked the control arm bushings and they're fine. I checked the rotor and it's slightly scored but clean and no warpage. It's really got me stumped. The ride over small bumps and cacks was bad before the struts were replaced, in fact that's why I replaced them. I did not improve. I did have some shaking when I braked before I turned the rotors and that went away. But 4 months later it's come back and it's 3 times as bad. My first thought is warped rotors couldn't cause that much shaking. It has to be the suspension. But, like I said everyhing seems to be ok. As far as out of balance tires wouldn't I get some vibration at highway speeds? I don't. I did go back to where they turned the rotors and talked to an old guy there that seemed to really know a lot about brakes. And one of the first things he asked me was whether I fushed out all the old brake fluid. He said that even though the brakes may seem firm old fluid has moisture in it which will expand with heat and will affect the function of the calipers. I do have a pulsating brake pedal as I come to a stop. Maybe the brakes are rabbing and releasing and tat's causing the shking. I'm going to re-turn the rotors, grease up the caliper sides and flush and bleed the old fluid completely out, except for the ABS box, and hope that stops the shaking. As far as the ride I'm stumped. My tires are getting thin on tread but I don't think new tires will make great difference in ride. Sometimes when I go over a hole or dip it seems like the shocks aren't even rebounding. The strut mounts seemed okay when I replaced the shocks but I'm wondering if they're allowing too much movement upwards. Any idea on what's allowable and how to check?
Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts