Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've got an ongoing issue with my 2000 Taurus wagon (DOHC). No matter what the weather, when the car has sat for a long period of time (overnight or 4 to 5 hours at work) the car takes a long time to fire up. Our other cars start in about 2 - 3 seconds of turning the key, the Taurus has taken as long as 10 seconds. Most of the time I let go and think it caught but have to try again. The car runs fine and the battery was tested and found to be fine.

Fuel filter is new
Air filter is new
Spark plugs have about 10K miles on them (copper)

Car runs great after it gets started...no problems and MPG is good.

Is this part of the TSB/recall to prevent the intake manifold from imploding (I confirmed that was performed on my car)?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Does it seem to crank slowly?

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you can hook up a pressure guage to the schrader valve, then turn the key on and let the pump pressurise the system and have a look at the guage. I'm not sure where it should be when the engine is not running but someone else could give you that info i'm sure. My 97 (when my wife starts it) takes about 3 seconds to start, but if I just let it fully prime the system, it will start in less than 1. You could try to turn the key on for a few seconds then turn it off and repeat the process one or two more times then try to start it, post some results if you do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts