Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This concern with burnt valves is quite common on the 3.0l 12v Vulcan engine. Lets just say I have seen more often on this engine than any other engine we see in the dealership. I recently had one in that has this issue and I go over how to test them with simple tools so you know just where the leak is. I am currently doing head gaskets on this vehicle with those videos to come, in the mean time check it out it may be your problem if you have a misfire problem you just cannot seem to find......

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Great video's, I'm just really puzzled about 3 failed INTAKE valves in 1 head. Was it a valve face problem or a seat breakdown. Do they use powdered metal seats in those apps.? Was the bank 1 head the same as cyl. 4 starting to fail or was it O.K.?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great video's, I'm just really puzzled about 3 failed INTAKE valves in 1 head. Was it a valve face problem or a seat breakdown. Do they use powdered metal seats in those apps.? Was the bank 1 head the same as cyl. 4 starting to fail or was it O.K.?
Valve seat problems on these are very common so for the other cylinders starting to show and fail right after these sounds right. I just pulled the other side heads today so I will have to leak test them too for the heck of it but this car is getting 2 reman heads though. I have no idea what kind of seats they use we just send them off to the machine shop.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Another excellent video that I hope is saved on the site.

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is surprising and interesting info. I thought these vulcans were bulletproof. What causes burnt valves? Is it because they did not get a proper valve seat from the factory, or was it a fuel issue? You see more vulcans with valve issues? I thought the ford engine with the most common valve seat issue was the SPI2000 type engines. Which ford car do you think is the most reliable? Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is surprising and interesting info. I thought these vulcans were bulletproof. What causes burnt valves? Is it because they did not get a proper valve seat from the factory, or was it a fuel issue? You see more vulcans with valve issues? I thought the ford engine with the most common valve seat issue was the SPI2000 type engines. Which ford car do you think is the most reliable? Thanks.
They are pretty bulletproof, but I have pulled more heads on a 3.0l Vulcan for valve seat compression issue than any other engine ford makes. The valve seats don't fall out like the spi in the Focus. I think these are more of a valve issue than the seat but the valve of course then damages the seat. It may have something to do with temp as this one was low on coolant from the front cover leak too. The Ford Fusion is the most reliable for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Could be related to the compression ratio that Ford raised after 1996? From 9,25:1 to 9,5:1. Hotter combustion chambers/valves can't manage a poor fuel/air ratio from a bad injector. Change in design tolerances could be the culprit?

I believe it is injectors/compression ratio related.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Would this cause a misfire on startup only and only sometimes?
Car never misfires when im driving it only on startup sometimes.I've done just about everything.Thanks

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Would this cause a misfire on startup only and only sometimes?
Car never misfires when im driving it only on startup sometimes.I've done just about everything.Thanks
Plugs, wires, coilpack, headgasket.

Error code helps.
If no code, more likely carbon tracking which ruins the plug and the wire.

-chart-

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also since yours is older 1996 3.0l right? I would check for coolant in cylinders from sitting overnight. After that a good induction service is due and check items as stated above. I have had the coil packs cause cold start misfires look for cracks on the coil pack on all 4 sides.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.