Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gang,

I have a 2000 Duratec Sable. Lately I've been having a hard starting issue in the morning. It takes many cranks and I have to pump the accelerator to get it started. Once started, it runs fine. No codes.

I have changed the fuel filter, air filter, and plugs. Any suggestions?

I want to nip this in the bud before winter and the wet season comes.

Gene in Baltimore

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
2000 duratec is COP... does this always occur?

·
Registered
23,405 Posts
Try cycling key to on position 2-3 times to see if that helps prior cranking. If it does, pull vac. hose off fuel pressure regulator(fpr) & see if hose end is fuel-soaked indicating diaphragm inside is shot. Fuel(pressure) might be leaking off & back to tank.

·
Registered
23,405 Posts
You can also remove the cap on the schrader valve test port on the fuel rail & shielding eyes with shop rag, depress valve stem with a key or sm. screwdriver to check for spray on cold eng. in the morning. If none, fuel(pressure) has prob. leaked off overnight. Poss. time for a new fpr.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hard starting 2006

My 2006 had the same problem. The engine would turn over but not start as if starving for fuel. I tried the pumping of the accelerator and the switching the ignition off and on. Today was the worst. I started hearing a clicking noise when I would attempt to start the car. While the clicking was happening, the instrument guages would tremble. When the car wouldn't start at all, I raised the hood and noticed corrosion on the battery posts. I cleaned it off and had the battery tested at AUTOZONE. It tested bad. I replaced the battery and the starting problem is gone!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Replaced the battery last year. I did try the key cycling trick but it didn't seem to help the situation.

Yesterday, in 80 deg/low humidity weather, I started the car after sitting for 8 hrs. Had to pump the gas as usual. Engine started but then immediately shut down. Turned the key again and motor fired right up, had no other problems.

This morning ( 65 deg/low humidity ) engine started fine (had to pump gas as usual) and I had no issues driving to work.

I'm beginning to think IAC or DFPE.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts