Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a 1997 ford taurus dohc motor with 130,000 miles on it , i did the complete tune up including a coil pack ,fuel pump,,motor craft air control valve ,maf sencor,,,pcv valve and u shaped hose,and new throttle body sencor and air cleaner, and fuel filter.. new alt,,,, new motorcraft battery, my thottle bodys shaft had a air leak and so did the lower intake manifold shaft also had a air leak so replaced them both with a low milage car from a jy,new gaskets,and replaced the throttle body from the same low milage car,,i had the car smoke tested,, , the problem iam having is in the morning when its warm out side at a cold start the car cranks like 2 to 3 times before it starts ,,,, sometimes it has a hard time starting ,, but when the car is warmed up it starts every time with the first crank ,, and the cold car in the morning before warmed up the idle is a little higher and i can feel miss after the car ,,,, after warmed up there is still a miss fire and the thottle body has a flat spot , it had a flat spot in the throttle body with the old throttle body , and when the the car is running i was under the hood giving it gas at idle the flat spot wants to make the motor die ,, i checked for air leaks could not find any ,, put new hoses that goes to both valve covers from the air cleaner tube , i noticed when pulling onto the street going up a slight up hill acted like it was laging power had to punch the gas to get the car moving,, i know it can be many things with out looking at it ,i had this ford taurus 21 years and had the transmission rebuilt this is the first time i had problems with it, i use the non ethonal gas and run fuel injected cleaner. i also change the oil every 3,000 miles no stored codes

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Check your EGR flow sensor hoses/ hose. Not sure how many are on a 97. Was the problem there before you changed all those parts.
Did the tune up include the spark plugs? You did not mention them,
Check your EGR flow sensor hoses/ hose. Not sure how many are on a 97. Was the problem there before you changed all those parts.
yep i did put new motorcraft spark plugs and wires and new motorcraft coil,, i thought about egr valve or egr flow sencor , i also thinking about a bad tbs sencor,,,,,,, i put a used throttle body that could be bad i put a used tbs that might be bad,, ,, i replaced the EGR flow sensor hoses one egr and the other goes fuel injector valve,, defently a hestation in the throttle body at low idle,,when i drive the car i can feel the hesitation in the throttle body

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Perhaps there is something wrong with a temperature sensor. You could check with a scanner what the PCM thinks the temperatures are (IAT = intake, ECT = coolant).+,
i will have to check that , , when the motor is cold before warmed up driving the car all i can feel slight hesitation in the throttle when taking off in low speed and theres a slight miss and stumble in the thottle body,, when the theromastat opens or the motor is completely warmed up you can really feel the miss driving the car when its idling at a stop light i can feel the miss after taking off down the road it has power and no laging

·
Registered
516 Posts
Did you check the FPDM yet? Maybe a 97 doesn't have one but I believe that my 05 Sable Wagon does, but I haven't been able to find it yet. It controls the fuel pump pressure both at start up and normal running.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
i dont think 97 mercury has one of those i replaced the fuel pump,, 3 months ago i had 2 lean codes po171 and po174 i eraced the codes and it never came back on since ,,,,, ,, still hesitation in the throttle body when low idle even after i relaced with a used throttle body dong the same thing,, the car is hard starting when cold but fires right up when warm has a lot power when driving the car on the hiway

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 1997 ford taurus dohc motor with 130,000 miles on it , i did the complete tune up including a coil pack ,fuel pump,,motor craft air control valve ,maf sencor,,,pcv valve and u shaped hose,and new throttle body sencor and air cleaner, and fuel filter.. new alt,,,, new motorcraft battery, my thottle bodys shaft had a air leak and so did the lower intake manifold shaft also had a air leak so replaced them both with a low milage car from a jy,new gaskets,and replaced the throttle body from the same low milage car,,i had the car smoke tested,, , the problem iam having is in the morning when its warm out side at a cold start the car cranks like 2 to 3 times before it starts ,,,, sometimes it has a hard time starting ,, but when the car is warmed up it starts every time with the first crank ,, and the cold car in the morning before warmed up the idle is a little higher and i can feel miss after the car ,,,, after warmed up there is still a miss fire and the thottle body has a flat spot , it had a flat spot in the throttle body with the old throttle body , and when the the car is running i was under the hood giving it gas at idle the flat spot wants to make the motor die ,, i checked for air leaks could not find any ,, put new hoses that goes to both valve covers from the air cleaner tube , i noticed when pulling onto the street going up a slight up hill acted like it was laging power had to punch the gas to get the car moving,, i know it can be many things with out looking at it ,i had this ford taurus 21 years and had the transmission rebuilt this is the first time i had problems with it, i use the non ethonal gas and run fuel injected cleaner. i also change the oil every 3,000 miles no stored codes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey is it possible I'm having some issues with mine it's about the exact same year and mileage last February and it pours water out between the transmission and the engine which my understanding what I have read and the bull club it is a soft plug freeze plug whatever you'd like to call it in between the two I have yet to rip that apart that was last February but she was bogging down and acting weird and I was a lot colder but kind of like you're saying and I don't know if I destroyed some of the inside because it was not nice that broke free I think it sucked that inspection plug whatever you want to call it in and actually right now the other issue I'm having is no spark it is not the coil pack I had replaced that with a used one and had checked it any information would be greatly appreciated so I didn't mean to be disrespectful budding in or anything but I'm just so many different things and Geneva Cleveland Ohio if you will it's just a dog on hot out here and you know it's not raining in about snow and I thought I'd just throw it out there for you and I do have some things I would greatly appreciate some input on I've got to get the car so it's undercover so they don't get it everything doesn't get washed away greatly appreciated thank you so much this is an incredible group of people please keep me posted peace love and happiness smiles of smiles no worries never worth the stress just like being aggravated or hating something it's wasted energy giggles and make everybody think you're crazy cuz you're smiling when it's like what you believe your engine in your laughing yeah well I ain't thrilled but I'd rather be laughing and kind of smiling and then I'll be in aggravated just bad karma bad vibes thank you all y'all have great vibes I'm just too long-winded and a little bit Goofy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey is it possible I'm having some issues with mine it's about the exact same year and mileage last February and it pours water out between the transmission and the engine which my understanding what I have read and the bull club it is a soft plug freeze plug whatever you'd like to call it in between the two I have yet to rip that apart that was last February but she was bogging down and acting weird and I was a lot colder but kind of like you're saying and I don't know if I destroyed some of the inside because it was not nice that broke free I think it sucked that inspection plug whatever you want to call it in and actually right now the other issue I'm having is no spark it is not the coil pack I had replaced that with a used one and had checked it any information would be greatly appreciated so I didn't mean to be disrespectful budding in or anything but I'm just so many different things and Geneva Cleveland Ohio if you will it's just a dog on hot out here and you know it's not raining in about snow and I thought I'd just throw it out there for you and I do have some things I would greatly appreciate some input on I've got to get the car so it's undercover so they don't get it everything doesn't get washed away greatly appreciated thank you so much this is an incredible group of people please keep me posted peace love and happiness smiles of smiles no worries never worth the stress just like being aggravated or hating something it's wasted energy giggles and make everybody think you're crazy cuz you're smiling when it's like what you believe your engine in your laughing yeah well I ain't thrilled but I'd rather be laughing and kind of smiling and then I'll be in aggravated just bad karma bad vibes thank you all y'all have great vibes I'm just too long-winded and a little bit Goofy
wow i read your thread wow i hope you get your car fixed ,, i found out one thing i replaced the plastic cover the 2 side tabs were broken off possably letting air in ,,,,bought the cover from a JY it covers up the airfilter and the the between plastic hose that attaches to the throttle also the mas air flow sensor srews on it ,, after i did that i think helped my hesitaion ,, but still having hard starting when the motor is cold even if its 70 degrees out side, after the cars warms up it starts all the time fine,, i saw on you tube how to check the fuel injectors i turn the ignition on and of twice then the motor cranked over twice and started right up no hesitation, acting like mabe the fuel is not holding pressure on the line or bleeding down ,,, also i will check the egr valve hoses once i find where it is ,,,,,,,,,, , the idle when cold still a little higher because i can feel the vibration and have to make sure that i hold the break pedal at a stop light other wise it will creap forward ,,,, after the car warms up i still can feel the miss in the motor but there are other posabilty a coolant senor , bad egr valve fuel presure regulator ,,,,,acts like a little vacumm leak i did put a used throttle body from thee JY i cleaned that up and installed it mabe the used throttle body might be bad ,, theres no check engine lights on, if i cant figure it out i might have to smoke test the motor,, iam also running clear gas and last time i bought that gas at the gas station ,, the gas pump was not working correctly and the gas pump would stop pumping gas meaning there was air in the gas line at the pump i cold have gotton bad gas,, so now iam going run the car out of gas buy shell V power gas and fuel injector cleanor see if it helps my car,,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
vacuum leak?
i am thinking a vacumm leak, i did put in a new u shaped hose and pcv valve,,, after fixing my air cleaner part i dont have the hesitation in my throttle any more at low speed ,, but still hard starting when motor is cold,, and the idle feels a liitle higher when engine is cold and i can feel the vibration in the steering wheel at idling at a stop light it feels like a vacumm leak , i am thinking mabe idle control valve even though its a new motorcraft valve ,, i did put a used throttle body mabe its bad and i also put a new mass air flow sensor from autozone dont know how good those are, i put new motorcraft spark plugs wires and coil,,,, guess i might have to take it to my friends shop more money,, i also plulled the hose off the fuel injection presure regularlator did not smell any gas and let the car run with the hose off started car and let it run for 2 minutes did not see any fuel coming out of it

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
vacuum leak?
Jiyu i have the dohc motor i replaced both upper and lower manifold gaskets and throttle body and fuel pump and fuel filter and pcv valve and still has the hestitation when barley giving it gas then the car smooths out as i drive the car and once the car is warmed up it starts all the time and i tryed fuel injector cleaner twice my car runs smooth then miss in the motor comes back ,, some times when i start my car first in the morning it start right up and some times when hitting the key its hard starting or hesitating to start ,, and in one time in the morning it cranked over 4 times finally fired up but i could smell gas fumes like i flooded the motor ,, i leaning towards the fuel injectors because my car has 130,000 miles on my car,, i kept spraying the motor trying to find any vacumm leaks cant find any ,,

·
Registered
246 Posts
Usually, hesitation when giving throttle, or hard starting when cold, means the engine is getting excessive air or not enough fuel (running lean).
However, "vibration at steering wheel' indicates a serious misfire. Might be best to start with the basics and do a compression test. Or, if you have scan tool that can perform a relative compression test (I think that's what it's called), that'll tell you if you've got a dead cylinder.
When you've got a weird problem it's always best to start with the basics.
Check your fuel pressure, also.
If one of the cylinder is misfiring, try switching injectors with another cylinder - if the misfire moves, you gotta bad injector. If the misfire stays on that cylinder, it's something else (burned valve, etc.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Usually, hesitation when giving throttle, or hard starting when cold, means the engine is getting excessive air or not enough fuel (running lean).
However, "vibration at steering wheel' indicates a serious misfire. Might be best to start with the basics and do a compression test. Or, if you have scan tool that can perform a relative compression test (I think that's what it's called), that'll tell you if you've got a dead cylinder.
When you've got a weird problem it's always best to start with the basics.
Check your fuel pressure, also.
If one of the cylinder is misfiring, try switching injectors with another cylinder - if the misfire moves, you gotta bad injector. If the misfire stays on that cylinder, it's something else (burned valve, etc.)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts