Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i just started noticing that my trans is starting to up and downshift harder than it used to. When accelerating hard i can almost chirp the tires (if it wasnt for the soft suspension it wont lift the front end) but still shifts at the same 5300 rpm that it did 2 years ago. And when stopping i can feel the shift from 2nd to 1st kind of harshly. The fluid and filter for the trans was replaced last year. So some one tell me if this is something to worry about?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
When you say that the fluid was replace last year, was it flushed or just a drain and fill. If it wasn't flushed i would recommend that you get it flushed. Every time after i have had a transmission flushed (not a drain and fill) the transmission has shifted much smoother. Some people (myself included) like firmer shifts (from a kit or a chip) but not if they are a result of not getting the trans flushed every 30K as recommended. BTW, how many miles do you have on the transmission and has it already been rebuilt before?

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
at about 100,000 miles or so my transmissioin started acting the same way (hard shifts) it got brought somewhere and the transmission fluid was flushed. it was normal again, but then outta nowhere the tranny blew. it only had one hiccup where it hesitated to shift into drive leaving somewhere. it blew like a week or so after it got flushed. So it got rebuilt and was fine until about 3 weeks ago when it started shifting really hard into drive and 1st to 2nd was harsh at times. This may seem outta place but u'll see in a sec. I added coolant finally to my resavoir tank cuz it was empty pretty much. then the transmission started acting slowly normal. Correct me if im wrong, but i thought i read somewhere that the engine coolant is shared with the cooling of the transmission. dunno that is true but thats the story on my transmission trouble if it helps.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Yes you are correct, the transmission lines go into the radiator and are partially cooled there before they come out and go into the stock ATX cooler and then back to the transmission.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK the tranny was just drained and refiled with a fitler change. i have 105k miles on it and as far as i know(since 74k miles) that the tranny hasnt been rebuilt yet. But judging by the story above i think that i should just leave it alone. the funny part is that my friend has a 95 gl and 1st to 2nd shift almost never happens when it should but the thing keeps running (this started years ago)

G

·
my sisters 95 GL blew a seal (was my parents) at only 36500 and ford didnt' want anythign to do with it.

the seal blew causing all the fluid to dispurse and than blew the tranny, now how sad is that?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had a similar problem after changing the spark plugs. Found out i had disconnected the MAF, strangely it didnt give me the SES light.

·
Registered
27 Posts
At 50K, I had the fluid flushed on my '99 Taurus. The hard shifting seemed to "ease" a bit after the flush. The process utilized was the BG Products flush and I opted for synthetic fluid to be utilized. Cost was about $190 for the process. Using regular fluid drops the price back to $130 or so.

After having a flush done, there's no way I'd just drop the pan and drain 4 QTs of fluid out and change the filter. Clearly, not enough fluid is swapped out with this process.

But, I've also noticed that my driving has a lot to do with how the tranny shifts. I've realized some things that I was doing wrong in driving that led to 2nd gear shifting a little on the firm side. Correcting my behaviour was a big part in allowing the car to shift better.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Originally posted by 96_sab_gs@Aug 6 2004, 12:40 PM
at about 100,000 miles or so my transmissioin started acting the same way (hard shifts) it got brought somewhere and the transmission fluid was flushed. it was normal again, but then outta nowhere the tranny blew. it only had one hiccup where it hesitated to shift into drive leaving somewhere. it blew like a week or so after it got flushed. So it got rebuilt and was fine until about 3 weeks ago when it started shifting really hard into drive and 1st to 2nd was harsh at times. This may seem outta place but u'll see in a sec. I added coolant finally to my resavoir tank cuz it was empty pretty much. then the transmission started acting slowly normal. Correct me if im wrong, but i thought i read somewhere that the engine coolant is shared with the cooling of the transmission. dunno that is true but thats the story on my transmission trouble if it helps.
Normally, getting your transmission flushed is an EXCELLENT idea. I don't know whether or not your transmission received regular servicing through its life. I've heard from a couple shops that said that if your transmission hasn't been serviced regularly and you reach something like 100k miles on it, the fluid should be checked first before flushing. If it's still the original red/pink color and doesn't smell like varnish, then you're probably safe to flush it. If the fluid is 100k miles old and is discolored/smells, it's probably not a good idea to flush because the contaminents are very likely holding the insides of the transmission together. For all intents and purposes, the transmission is dead, but doesn't know it yet. I've also heard this multiple times on the Pat Goss' radio show (he's the auto tech on PBS' Motorweek).

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
:withstupid: Normally it is a VERY good idea to flush as transmission at regular intervals. But as HokieSES said if you aren't sure of it's maintenance history, are having problems and are in the high millage range (75K and up) then you should have the fluid checked before flushing. When i used to work at Pep Boys one of our shop rules was if they car has more then 75K on it and the customer didn't know the transmission's maintenance history we wouldn't perform a flush w/o a fluid analysis first.

Funny because we once had a guy that insisted we flush his transmission even though we said we couldn't w/o the fluid analysis (IIRC 90's thunderbird at around 115K and didn't know ATX history). He spoke to the service manager and consented to sign a waiver of liability since his request was against our recommendation (since he knew better then us and all <_< ) and then we performed the flush for him. Needless to say after the flush was performed he had a hard shift from 1 to 2 and then couldn't shift any higher then 2nd. Man he was pissed and tried to blame us even though we had warned him it could happen and advised him against proceeding w/o the fluid analysis.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts