Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard shift 1-2nd. Powertrain reset? P1000 code? I had a battery failure a few weeks ago (left a device in lighter/my fault) and out of the blue my 2007 Taurus) started having a rough 1st to 2nd shift issue. I know this is nothing new to many of us. I waited and waited for the PCM to adapt to my driving but it never seemed to happen. I disconnected the battery a few times hoping for a adaptive fix.

I downloaded FORScan a while ago for other reasons, but someone said I can use forscan to confirm what gear selection my car was in (P,R,N, D/etc)--and still can't find that section in the software BUT while working through every module I found an interesting PCM Report (attached)-- If I am reading this correctly my PCM has not/ can not be 'reset' just yet due to another variable not working--AND might be forcing it into 'limp home mode'. I find is interesting as I changed my VSS last year (and was shifting fine)
, and my car currently has a strange 'over heat/back to normal' situation that I thought might be due to air in the system, but now I see that my PCM won't reset if there is a problem with my thermosat! (which I was thinking of changing for good measure)---

I am still digesting this new information--but I wanted to put it out there as I know MANY people have issues with 1st-2nd hard shift and can't find a fix-- I wonder if any of them also use FORScan and can check to see if they are having the same kind of report.

Thank you all!
Font Screenshot Number Electric blue Document

Attachments

·
Registered
04 Taurus SES Vulcan
106 Posts
p1000 is a nothing code ford added. Just says emissions monitors have not all been run since powered on. Battery drain caused it. You can safely ignore.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
p1000 is a nothing code ford added. Just says emissions monitors have not all been run since powered on. Battery drain caused it. You can safely ignore.
The battery drain was weeks ago---and I've driven it daily---and never 'learned' again--still rough shift (more like kick)-- I've been taking foot off gas as a stop-gap measure but really want to figure out why it is not relearning.

·
Registered
11,682 Posts
The battery drain was weeks ago---and I've driven it daily---and never 'learned' again--still rough shift (more like kick)-- I've been taking foot off gas as a stop-gap measure but really want to figure out why it is not relearning.
Sometimes, battery running down and battery disconnected is not the same. I had battery ran down on '03 Sable. When charged back up, the EATC would not work. I have had/have 4 Bulls with EATC, never had that with a battery disconnect.
-chart-

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes, battery running down and battery disconnected is not the same. I had battery ran down on '03 Sable. When charged back up, the EATC would not work. I have had/have 4 Bulls with EATC, never had that with a battery disconnect.
-chart-
When the first battery drained, I pulled it out and replaced it, so there was about 10 min when the battery was out of the car, but I do understand your point about run down battery and battery disconnected are not the same, and may now exhibit the same sysmtoms. I also disconnected the battery couple weeks ago to replace starter and was hoping this time might be the winner to get the transmission learning again.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Is the rpm going too high before the hard 1-2 up shift? Could be the VSS sensor on early models but they use the ABS sensor on your model to tell the ecm the speed so the transmission will up shift properly.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the rpm going too high before the hard 1-2 up shift? Could be the VSS sensor on early models but they use the ABS sensor on your model to tell the ecm the speed so the transmission will up shift properly.
I had that issue for a while---but changed the VSS---did not go away immeditaly, but did go away. Now the hard shift is right away 1-2nd...after that shift smooth as silk.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
You've been busy on this puppy & I like that you have FORScan involved, as it can help focus a trouble shoot.

So, lets think about this some more. In all of this I didn't read that you performed a cold & warm idle relearn routine, nor the emissions monitor drive cycle relearn routine, after the battery run down & its replacement???

If not, consider beginning at square one again, by disconnecting the battery B- cable & opening a door, or turn the head lights on, or step on the brake pedal, to add some resistive load to quickly drain any remaining memory charge, so you get a good clean & safe KAM memory wipe.

Then turn Off All electrical loads & reconnect the battery B- cable. Then with All electrical loads Off, the engine completely Cold to ambient temp, restart it, let it idle down some, then Slowly shift into All gears so to give them time to engage & add their engine load, including R, ending in P or N.

Then without turning Anything on, or turning the steering wheel, or turning the AC on, or doing anything that adds engine load, let the engine Fully warm up, undisturbed. (I let mine idle until the temp gauge peaks, the thermostat opens & the temp gauge drops back to its normal hot run position), then again Slowly shift into All gears including R & the cold & warm idle relearn routine is complete.

If its 1-2 up-shift is still acting out, continue with the fairly lengthily & involved Ford emissions monitors drive cycle relearn routine, until FORScan says all emissions monitors have reset & see if that makes a positive 1-2 upshift improvement.
More thoughts for consideration let us know how it goes.

Reactions: kekaye56

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You've been busy on this puppy & I like that you have FORScan involved, as it can help focus a trouble shoot.

So, lets think about this some more. In all of this I didn't read that you performed a cold & warm idle relearn routine, nor the emissions monitor drive cycle relearn routine, after the battery run down & its replacement???

If not, consider beginning at square one again, by disconnecting the battery B- cable & opening a door, or turn the head lights on, or step on the brake pedal, to add some resistive load to quickly drain any remaining memory charge, so you get a good clean & safe KAM memory wipe.

Then turn Off All electrical loads & reconnect the battery B- cable. Then with All electrical loads Off, the engine completely Cold to ambient temp, restart it, let it idle down some, then Slowly shift into All gears so to give them time to engage & add their engine load, including R, ending in P or N.

Then without turning Anything on, or turning the steering wheel, or turning the AC on, or doing anything that adds engine load, let the engine Fully warm up, undisturbed. (I let mine idle until the temp gauge peaks, the thermostat opens & the temp gauge drops back to its normal hot run position), then again Slowly shift into All gears including R & the cold & warm idle relearn routine is complete.

If its 1-2 up-shift is still acting out, continue with the fairly lengthily & involved Ford emissions monitors drive cycle relearn routine, until FORScan says all emissions monitors have reset & see if that makes a positive 1-2 upshift improvement.
More thoughts for consideration let us know how it goes.
I have NOT done anything like that, and I will first thing in AM! Thank you for a new, controlled procedure I can try, and measure. When I saw the FORscan report, I was almost happy, thinking that 'something' is failing and I need to address that before trans can do a proper re-learn. Somewhere deep inside I am holding onto that 'hope' and continue to look for any disconnected wire, or other possible cause. I will report back with my findings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts