Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would let you guys know there is another alternative for a tune for the Taurus.

I was talking to Justin at VMPTuning.com and has tunes available for the Duratec 3.0. Expected gains are between 15-20 whp across the curve on 93 octane. Also transmission tuning is refined for firmer shifts and optimized shift points.

$399

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: Custom Tuned SCT X3 Flash Tuner for Ford Vehicle from VMP

Debating on getting one for my 02 but that is going to eat away at my 2011 5.0 fund :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To each his own....

Justin was able to answer specific questions when I asked him what was changed and he has tuned many Duratec 3.0's. Doesn't have to be in a Taurus.

I contacted SHOZ123 and was told "Fuel and timing are optimized, tranny shifting and driveability generally improve" :unsure:

Just doesn't convince me versus someone that has a very good reputation among the Ford/Mustang community.

·
Registered
671 Posts
To each his own....

Justin was able to answer specific questions when I asked him what was changed and he has tuned many Duratec 3.0's. Doesn't have to be in a Taurus.

I contacted SHOZ123 and was told "Fuel and timing are optimized, tranny shifting and driveability generally improve" :unsure:

Just doesn't convince me versus someone that has a very good reputation among the Ford/Mustang community.
You're new. SHOZ123 has a very good reputation among the taurus community. RWD engines behave differently than FWD transmissions, so you can't say a mustang tuner will do best on your AX4N. SHOZ123 knows the capabilities and limitations of our transmissions. Also, all the power from a flash tuner comes from optimizing fuel ratios and spark timing. All he did was say what your other tuner said but with less words.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
You're new. SHOZ123 has a very good reputation among the taurus community. RWD engines behave differently than FWD transmissions, so you can't say a mustang tuner will do best on your AX4N. SHOZ123 knows the capabilities and limitations of our transmissions. Also, all the power from a flash tuner comes from optimizing fuel ratios and spark timing. All he did was say what your other tuner said but with less words.
:werd:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
This.

Pauls tunes are the real deal in comparison to the crap other people spew. No offense to your buddy. But Paul's been around for a good while and knows pretty much everything when it comes to Tauruses. He tells you the truth. There isn't much that you can do to these engines to make them make power. But what Paul does makes your car run more efficiently and properly. The tune from the factory leaves alot to be desired, and Paul makes it how it should be.

There is no "Magic" tune to instantly gain 20 horses. You just can't do it without making some serious changes on these cars. One of the biggest issues with these cars are the transmissions which leave alot to be desired. I'm pretty sure my AX4N lost 25% of my power through the transmission. They don't take power well and tend to act up when you make modifications.

I wouldn't expect anyone short of a complete stand alone fuel system and fully modified engine in a Taurus to make anything more about 240 horses (besides the SHO.)

Trust us when we say this. Paul is the go to guy when it comes to Taurus Tuning.

In addition to this.. I doubt you asked Paul what the changes were in the Tec30's years :) They changed a lot on these cars as they progressed through the years. From Distribution to COP to Coil Pack Ignition. In addition to different intake plenums etc etc etc.

Alot of the guys on here know the differences too.... so just because he "knows" doesn't make him an expert. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yea I'm new. I don't know what I'm talking about. :huh:

10 years building Mustangs, custom turbo setups, Mazdaspeed3 that I refined my own tune for, WRX/Sti, ASE certified...

I just wanted to show another option with a person that specializes in Ford vehicles, has experience turning the Duratec engine, and from seeing over the years what he can do, does great work.

Heck if I really wanted to go out of my way and put some money into this car I could wait for when Jon Lund has a dyno day at a shop in PA and go get my Taurus dynotuned. :lol2:

Jon, works with Ford and tweaks tunes for their new vehicles.

I'll go back to lurking...

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Nah dude, don't take it so hard. Just the Taurus community sticks together. :lol2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts