Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whenever I park on a hill or say my house's 30% grade driveway, I notice that after starting the engine and shifting into rear gear, there is an unusually strong kick coming from the transmission. It only recently occurred to me that it must be because all of the stress resulting from holding the parked car still is from transmission instead of the hand brake. To test this theory, I stopped my car in our driveway, shifted into neutral, activated the "hand brake" and released the normal brake. The car rolled back and would keep on going unless I apply normal brake. Is this normal? I thought that the hand brake should be strong enough to keep the car still.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Your car doesn't have a hand brake. The brake handle under the dash is not used to set the parking brake. You have to press that pedal to the left under the dash to set the parking brake.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. I should have said "parking brake". I'll try to find the turnbuckle when I have time.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Adjust up your e-brk. turnbuckle under drivers door and or your rear brakes a bit.
BTW, that thing under the door is so rusty, it pretty much impassible to turn. I am soaking it in WD-40 right now to see if that's gonna help.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I know just what you mean by the parking adjuster I used pb blaster on mine and still couldn't get it loose. I was wondering if you recently had rear brake work done on your car. Maybe your rear brake adjustment (starwheel) needs to be made tighter. When I did my rear brake job on my '02 I made the mistake of believing that my self adjusters would do that for me. Not so. You have to adjust them manually and by doing so you will make the brake shoes tighter and more grabable when you apply the parking brake. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Adjusting the turnbuckle is 90% of the time a cover up. If you haven't had your brakes done... get them checked. PERIOD. Chances are they're burned out. This can happen if the brake gets left on...

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Parking brake cables and hardware can become non-functional after long periods of non-use. Everything gets rusty and inoperable. May need to replace a few parts to get it back.

·
Registered
23,406 Posts
If your turnbuckle is seized, simply tighten up both rear brakes a bit using the star wheel adj. with the drums off or on.

·
Registered
23,406 Posts
Whichever is easier. I do it with the drums off just because its a major pita to access the star wheel adj. from the backside with the drum on. I tighten the shoes until its snug to get the drum back on. Then ill spin the drum (with a lug nut or 2 hand tight) to ensure there is a little drag on the wheel (brakes). I adjust the starwheel from the front where it is much easier to access.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
If its rear drum, pull drums, inspect shoes for wear, if not too worn, adj them until slight resistance. As for the popping or snapping when going into reverse, CV joints may be worn or starting to wear. My cvs were doing the same thing before i replaced them.. popping into reverse. But then again i do burnouts and that wears things out in the drivetrain quicker than necesary :p

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last week I went back to the repair shop and told them that rear brakes were not adjusted after replacing the cylinders. They adjusted the brakes and things are better a little. The car doesn't roll back on the driveway any more, though I have to apply some pretty high foot pressure on the parking brake to make that happen (compared to some other Fords). The brake pedal now feels somewhat stiffer, though it's still softer than most cars I have driven. I guess, that's just the way it is.

·
Registered
23,406 Posts
If the self adjusters are working properly, and they are adjusted close to where they should be, brakes should snug up on their own now when backing and/or using the parking brake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts