Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, about 40 minutes ago, I jumped on my computer. I started up AIM. AIM loaded up ok and was online. Then, I open internet explorer. TCCA is my homepage. I get a "This Page Cannot Be Displayed" message. So, I figure the site is down, so I try going to Google. Again, "This page cannot be displayed." So, I tried Youtube, again, "This page cannot be displayed.

After trying numerous other sites, I finally found one that still worked. There was nothing wrong with my internet connection, but there was apparently a ton of websites all down at the same time. Was there some kind of massive server failure or something?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
ICANN's top level DNS server farm probably had an issue or their data center was temporarily offline. I didn't see the issue, but it's most likely a DNS error, as having that many sites down at the same time, which would be housed in many different places, would stop teh intarwebs from working.

JR

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
If I had to wager a guess, probably a routing issue in your area, especially with you two being in the same region of the country.

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
If I had to wager a guess, probably a routing issue in your area, especially with you two being in the same region of the country.
[/b]
:werd:

I didn't notice or hear of any issues today. If it was anything terribly widespread I would have heard something... I work at an IT consulting firm/ISP and we would have been getting calls about it.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most of the problems seem to be gone now, but I'm noticing a few strange issues.

Right now, I can't get on youtube. The thing is, I'm not getting any "This page cannot be displayed." I'm simply not getting anything at all. IE just says, "connecting" and where it would normally say "Waiting for http://www.youtube.com..." it says absolutely nothing, and I just get a neverending blue circle with connecting on the tab. Meanwhile, the website I was currently on will be still fully functional as if I never entered in a new address. Right now, as far as I can tell, it's just happening with youtube.

I'm also getting a few random points where pages will only load halfway, but refreshing it will usually clear it up.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Call Al Gore...he invented it, he can fix it :lol2:

I haven't had any problems today...I'm on YouTube now.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
AFAIK the internet did not go down in the sprawling metropolis of L'Erable IL but then again I took a nap this afternoon......

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I remember a few years ago a few major routing companies got mad at each other (I think cogent and level 3) and the internet was strange for a day or two.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I can't remember when it was that our servers weren't reachable. But it was very brief. I remember one time a long long time ago where a lot of the internet was down do to some fiber optic line down or something, I forgot. Was massive outages.

Then there's always the ISP downtimes. I get my DNS from opendns.com though.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
AFAIK the internet did not go down in the sprawling metropolis of L'Erable IL but then again I took a nap this afternoon......
[/b]
Old men. Always taking naps and ****, while they should be monitoring the interwebs.

What would Al Gore think?

JR

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
He isn't concerned. Every time you click a link he's getting a royalty. :)

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
It's the economy. We can't afford to have the whole internet working at once any longer

Mike
:noes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts