1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yuuuuuuup
parked car in parking garage by work

normally when they return the car, they will stop the engine

this time they didnt, i drove off......got to my friends place,. stopped engine.......sure enough, keys fall out

i'm confused ..... look at key....yuuuuuuup, half of it isnt there

so now, i dont need a "key" to start the car, because its in there

luckily i have remote locks, so i can lock the door

I plan on taking apart the whole thing tomorrow and seeing if i can poke the key out with a pin or something; however before i try, i'd like so advice!

so thanks, ONCE again =)

puv

·
Registered
389 Posts
Turn the key to On. Look under switch, on the cover, and you'll see a hole. Stick a straightened hanger, allen wrench, whatever in there to push the pin in, then pull the whole cylinder out of the column. From there you should be able to turn it back to lock, and shake the key out. You might actually be able to push it out from the other side. It's been a couple months since I had mine out. Then you can use another key (you have more than one right?), insert and turn to the run position, make sure the pin is depressed, and put it back in the hole.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
You're best bet is to remove the ignition cylinder as Jeckler outlined, but I'd recommend a thin wire to remove the key from the cylinder, or you can try tapping it out. If you do try to tap it out, me mindful to leave the key in the on position. Rotating it to another position while not installed in the column can prove... upsetting. :blink:

G

·
Originally posted by Racer X@Sep 17 2004, 04:23 PM
Rotating it to another position while not installed in the column can prove... upsetting. :blink:
:withstupid: I did this on a lock for my house. Took me a while to find the pins and springs. Good luck.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The pins are captured, at least on the Gen II cylinders. Turning it back to lock, ACC, or even start should not prove detrimental. HOWEVER, turning the cylinder past start causes it to come apart. That's simply the way it's keyed together with the cylinder cage. It's not impossible to put back together, but a third hand comes in...handy. :) There's two pins, and two springs to keep track of if they come apart.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies guy.....i will check tomorrow ASAP....

it is a gen II, forgot to mention that

so i will be sure not to turn passed the start position, and just got the sake of it, i wont turn to the off position either......

will post my finding's tomorrow......thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just an idea, and if it's a bad one, someone say so....

Place the igintion in off position. Place a drop of "Crazy Glue" on the end of a "Standard slot" screwdriver (one that fits in till it makes contact with the broken key).
Now insert the screwdriver till it touches the remains of the key. Wait a few moments and withdrawl the screwdriver..
The remains should come out with the screwdriver... I maybe whistling dixie, but a superintendent friend did this for someone's apartment after they broke their key off in the lock.

Just a thought... I'll go back into my cave now :)

BTW : Be very careful. One needs to have real steady hands. Some folks use a pin or a paper flip end for this method. If you make a mistake, it'll be stuck in there as well. Mind you , if you can't get the key out anyway, the cylinder will have to removed anyway. I know my hands are not steady enough to use this method... someone mentioned to me using contact cement, but I don't know if that would work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts