Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had my car having the rebuilt tranny at the shop ($800). But the guy told me to wait like 3 days or so, so the tranny could get use to the changing gear process everything in place I think and getting used to the new tranny and to work perfect. He told me not to accelerate too much or fast. Am I suppose to wait for those days while the gears miss rarely like that? But when I was on my way to the house I notice something weird in the 1st or 2nd gear - not sure, I noticed the gear missed some times but not too much. Also when I took out the accelerator so it could kickdown (downshitf) and boom the car shakes like weird lol. I was like omg the tranny broke up :lol2: but then it didnt do it not much after that. Is it normal to do that when they put a new rebuilt tranny? Although I was checking up the exhaust manifolds and I saw the one in the back that connects to the manifold and the pipe that goes back to the cats had one bolt that was loosened and I saw it was leaking something there. Does the leak could cause the problem with the tranny too?

Any comments appreciated :)

Frank.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I mean in the post I made up there the bolt was like the one in this pic...

Ebay

·
Registered
712 Posts
First, your link is dead.

No, the tranny doesn't need to learn how to shift. Your PCM does try to learn your driving style, in an attempt to make shifting smoother, but you don't need to baby it.

What do you mean by "missing gears", and "but not much". Engine revs a little in between shifts.

I don't understand what you mean by "I took out the accelerator..."

What is leaking from the exhaust bolt? Exhaust?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had a rebuilt this week and its smooth city, more power than before. It did leak due to cheap gaskets, quickly replaced and all is normal. I'm no SuperBull on this forum but sounds like you have some 'issues'.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well yeah when I hit the gas it revs while changing in gears I think 1st or 2nd. Yeah I noticed in the back exhaust manifold it connects to the a pipe that goes like to the cats and stuff, I saw like part in the tranny that you see below in the exhaust manifold I saw it was leaking something. But Im pretty sure it was there cuz I see its not tighned up that much. I took a picture in my phone but I cant send it. Well he told me if I dont like how my tranny shitft or anything I dont like in there to take it back to see whats up. I honestly I didnt like what he did with the tranny and how it shifts now :grrrr: But I talked with my mechanic cuz he was out of state but he told me the tranny should be doing that in what the other guy told me.

Im just thinking I got :boink:

Frank.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah when I said I took out the acceletor, I meant my foot from hitting the gas. Sorry for the mistake.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Umm ... which its the link that you referred in there? Whats the link? I know nothing about car that much.

PS: I also checked the Brake fluid level this morning and I saw it was somehow empty so thats why I almost hit another car while going from the tranny guy to my house. Thus, No engine coolant fluid also, darm!

Plus, I see in the front of my car in the engine like where the black V6 3.0 cover its located I saw it was kind of wet of some liquid? Umm its leaking but it looks like it leak something in there? Do you know what it could this?

Sorry for all my question but Im getting worried and pissed since the tranny its something really serious regarding to fixing them so its not something someone could do like in counting 123.

Frank.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by sable97@Jul 1 2004, 09:52 PM
I mean in the post I made up there the bolt was like the one in this pic...

Ebay
This is the dead link that I was talking about.

I'm having a hard time understanding the rest. English is not your first language, is it?

I think you should take it to someone else for a second opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I misunderstood when you said the "link its dead", I thought you meant something that was located in the engine compartment ... but I noticed what you meant after, sorry for understanding something else. Exactly sir, english its not my first language though.

Anyway, I went to 2 different places today where they fix transmissions and I explained to that person I talked too what was happening with my tranny and he told me there is something wrong in there. So I told him that the other mechanic said (the one that fixed my tranny) to drive slow so my tranny will get use to the process of changing gears. But he told me thats bulls***, he said they mounted something incorrectly in there. Therefore, he just told me to go back so they could go and fix the tranny again. I told him it was weird to be giving me those issues even new. Anyway ... I just talked to the guy who fixed my tranny so on Monday he will check it out whats going in there. Im really pissed because of this :ripped:
I also noticed when I hit the brake pedal the car doesnt stop at all so I feel :ripped: + :boink:.

Note: Having this issues my car its slower than a $200 scooter. I pressed the gas all the way down and the speedometer needle hardly moved :unsure: I've driving like an old man in the street.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
It's hard to understand exactly what you're saying.

If your brake fluid was low and you filled it up with brake fluid again, you probably have air in the braking system and you should get the brakes bleed. Having air in the system will increase the stopping distances so you're an accident waiting to happen.

If you're low on coolant there's probably another leak somewhere else. Maybe the mechanic doing the transmission went a little nuts and knocked out a few lines around causing those leaks.

As for the type of leak, if it's big enough you might be able to tell. It's either coolant, transmisssion fluid, brake fluid, or oil. I doubt if it's winshieldwasher or water.

The car moving like a scooter is probably due to the problem with the transmission.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You need to be prepared to spend lots of money on your car.

If you always take your car to the cheapest place, it will often not be properly repaired, as you have already experienced.

Find out from a native of your city where to go. Talk to an older man at an old gas station somewhere. Ask him where he takes his vehicles to get repaired. Don't ask your friends where to go, and don't go to the cheap places. You need to spend good money on this thing. I agree with the previous post(s): you need to bleed/flush your brake lines, find your coolant leak and get your transmission redone.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I know some you that have read this post already they could notice english its not my first language so Im trying to explain as much as I can do it. Before taking the tranny rebuilt I had everything in my car working very good, which I mean the brakes were fine, such as the coolant ... When I went to pick up my car and on my way home I felt the car very very different than it was before. I noticed the brakes didn't stop at all, when I had the brake pedal all the way down they started to stop so I knew something was wrong. I couldn't stopped since it was dark already and there was a huge traffic in the Expressway (Miami) my wife was following me. I heard when pressing the brake a weird sound from the inside of the driver side, it sound like a turbocharger or supercharger sound and when taking out the foot from the brake pedal it took a while to go back to this position.
I checked for leaks in the engine coolant and there was none but it was low of coolant + it was brownish - therefore I think I will get the coolant to flush as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
It sounds to me like the person that did your car (I wil NOT call him a mechanic or a man, simply because both would require a sense of pride at what they do... that this ******* doesn't have) really saw you coming.

1st, your trans should shift very smoothly and not over-rev at any time.
Second, when he pulled the subframe down....
A, he took loose ALL the hoses and lines.
B, after he "replaced" your trans., NOT!!!
C, he reinstalled the subframe but not ALL the hoses and lines....
that would account for the no power=trans. not repaired/replaced!!!!!
that would account for the no brakes/won't stop=disconnected brake lines and did not rebleed correctly.
that would account for the lack of coolant/antifreeze=removed lower hose and did not refill coolant system.

now you also said that it was leaking at the cover that says V6 3.0=
that is your front valve cover. you also have one in back , I would check to see if it shows signs of leakage also.

Me personally, if it were my car and some one gave it back in that kind of condition I would make sure they honor their warranty first!!!!!!!!!!!
As for the rest make sure ALL the fluids are full BEFORE leaving the lot,
have him check them personally!!!!!Not one of his flunkies!!!!!!
And for the hassle of having to bring it back because he lied to you, I
would make him fix the valve cover gaskets!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually $800 its not that cheap at all and it doesn't hurt me paying more money to get it fix but I think they did a horrible job in there, and plus has warranty. Hopefully my mechanic which its the who fixes my car and he does a nice job. But hopefully one of my friends recommend to this guy and he told me this guy its the bomb fixing tranny and stuff so I was like umm well I will let him see whats up. But damn the whole Ive thinking like retarted driving down the streets and the people yelling and screaming b**shits at me ... but I just was like umm ok have a nice day. They were like this guy its young and he's driving like a retarded in the street all becasue of the damn tranny. Hopefully I talked to him and I talked to him relaxed I was like let me calm down and be settle so on Monday I am going there so he will check the tranny and trust me he has to fix right cuz if not Ill be pissed like really bad.

But when I got home I see in front of the Valve cover (the black V6 3.0). I see something which its part of the block, right up where the exhaust manifold is (front) its looks kinda of wet. I think could the gasket or something else but its weird because before the tranny work it didn't have that.

The same day I took the car from the tranny shop I checked the exhaust manifold and I saw the exhaust flange was not tightened up in one nut at all which its holds by 2 nuts, I kinda saw like spot where it leaked while driving the car but as I was seeing for exhaust leaking I didnt see anything. Therefore that could be another huge problem.

How can I bleed the brake system?Is it hard to do it myself :unsure: ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
sorry 800 bucks to fix the trans is too cheap. Your tranny doesn't sound good, and I don't think he did quality work, expect problems soon, lets just hope you have a decent warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well yeah, it could be cheap though the price I paid. But I hope everything goes ok if not Ill be bothering the guy until I feel completely satisfied with the work and all the stuff he needs to fix in there. He told me I have 6 month warranty so I consider it isn't bad at all so I hope everything goes fine.

Does anyone know how could I do the brake bleeds or is it better him to fix it?

Frank.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
You really need two people to do it. There are kits that will allow one person to bleed it themselves, but it's not worth the cost in this case especially as it's that shop's fault.

To bleed it properly, you fill the brake fluid to the top but not too much because you don't want it dripping on the paint. Just make sure the level doesn't get low. Someone pumps the brakes a few times and holds it while another person loosens the bleed screw at the caliper/drum. The brake pedel will sink when you do this. They just open it a little bit at a time so it's a constant stream, they may see air bubbles. They close it hopefully before the pedel hits the floor and you pump up the brakes again and you repeat at all 4 corners of your brakes. Make sure the fluid level doesn't drop too much because you'll have air in the system again and you'll have to do it all over again. You do need to do this several times at each corner in order for the air to travel all the way through the system.

Bottom line, let the guy who screwed it up fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I called him today and I told him I needed to bleed the brakes and he said he wasn't his fault at all so I told him that when I got the car it wasn't stopping at all so he was like ok sir I'll fix it then. I was like damn he screwed my car and now he refuses to fix the brake f*ck that. Regarding to the tranny I told him about the tranny cooler, so I told him what was the purpose of that so he explained me all and I told him where I could buy it so the mechanic who always fixes my car will install it for me. Making the story short he told me he will install it and because of all what happened with the tranny, brakes, and the leaks in the exhaust flange he will do it for free and no charge. Getting a free tranny cooler whoo woo :banana:

Frank.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You went to Aamco didnt you?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, I went to another place to fix the tranny.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts