Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

So Thursday I had off, and I was planning to go fishing. It was really hot and humid. My mom had me go with her to get some info up at Parkside college that I needed to transfer in the morning though. So we got in her car and went up there, came back home and we had to go to my local college first, CLC to get my transfer info before we went out fishing. So I was kinda not in the mood so I said just pack all the equipment in my car since the lake is out that way and we weren't coming back home. I wanted to drive, as we would get out there a faster route.

We went to CLC, did our thing, then left for the lake. We were on 83, and all of a sudden my car dings, you know that ding when your door is ajar driving down the road? Yeah that one. So I am looking for the light on my instrument panel, and the light that was on said "low coolant". Oh dear, what do I do now? Could we stop and get coolant at the gas station. My mom said no, she didn't have any cash, but my brother who is an auto mechanic, and works at Lyons Ryan Ford In Antioch, was just on our way to where we were going. So my mom calls him on the cell, and asked if it would be ok, he said fine, but she told him that we were going out to the Chain O'Lakes, and then he said we better stop by then so he could put some coolant in the car. So we are getting near to the place and my car makes this grinding noise, sounds kinda like a bad diesel engine. Get there, my brother brings out the coolant and I tell him of the sound. So he turns it on and sure enough. So he opens the hood, and he is like holy cow. There was green stuff splattered EVERYWHERE! The hose just literally blew apart he said, and coolant/antifreeze was everywhere. He said it looked like my engine might of overheated.

It was obvious we couldn't drive it home, so we had to call my dad to come pick us up, and no fishing at the Chain that day. Well, he had to order a part that wouldn't be in till the next day because it was in Chicago. So the next day my car is fixed and running great. He said there doesn't seem to be any damage, but only time will tell. But nothing is apparent yet, and still is running great. That was a real close call. He got mad at me and asked if I ever checked my gauges. I shoulda seen the needle on H for hot and shoulda pulled over. I didn't know. Oh well.

It was just amazing the time and place that happened. I mean, what if we didn't go fishing that day, what if we decided to take my moms car instead of mine. I coulda went to work the next day and would of been stranded, or in real trouble. It is just amazing how things work out sometimes. It's like God is watching over us, and sometimes we don't know it until things like this happen. :D :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
My car did that actually a year ago today... Go figure!

My lower hose blew off and I didn't notice it until I looked at the gauge and saw it pegged. When I saw that I turned down the music and heard the motor knocking up a storm. It turned out to be the dry water pump making that noise.

I wouldn't worry too much. I blew that hose off 2 more times in the day before replacing it and the car made the same noise. I got another 8 months out of it before it was hit. R.I.P.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by tacotac@May 23 2004, 09:49 PM
He got mad at me and asked if I ever checked my gauges. I shoulda seen the needle on H for hot and shoulda pulled over. I didn't know. Oh well.
Did the gauge even read hot? When my coolant tank cracked on my vulcan the guage didn't move the only reason I noticed was the heater stopped making heat. The sender for the guage is right at the top of the system and if the coolant gets low it doesn't get coolant on the sensor and it doesn't read right.

But next time the coolant light comes on you should at least stop to make sure it isn't major.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts