Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
H&R Sport Lowering Coil Springs

I want to install H&R Sport Lowering Coil Springs (Ebay item 162902152516) in 2013 Taurus SE 2wd V-6 (Part Number 51626). I will like to hear from a member THAT DONE IT if I will have camber issues after the drop. The manufacturer claims it will drop close to 1.5" all-around. I did read somewhere that I may need Specialty Products Company 81280 EZ Cam XR 16mm Adjuster Bolt (4 each). These bolts are quite pricy, btw. How about the rear camber?
Help!

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I want to install H&R Sport Lowering Coil Springs (Ebay item 162902152516) in 2013 Taurus SE 2wd V-6 (Part Number 51626). I will like to hear from a member THAT DONE IT if I will have camber issues after the drop. The manufacturer claims it will drop close to 1.5" all-around. I did read somewhere that I may need Specialty Products Company 81280 EZ Cam XR 16mm Adjuster Bolt (4 each). These bolts are quite pricy, btw. How about the rear camber?
Help!
I love the change to the ride. I would not want to go back. I provided my installer with the camber bolts. Didn’t have any issues with the rear camber. The issues that I experienced immediately after had nothing to do with the springs. Even the dealer admits that now.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
As noted by thefranchise713 the criteria for setting code C0051 has nothing to do with the springs. Furthermore all of that criteria was found to be within spec. And all of the alignment criteria was within spec. They were willing to recalibrate the sensor but since it is throwing the code @ random when all is within spec, the decision was made to just replace the sensor. It is on order and should arrive in 4 or 5 days. At that point we will schedule an appointment and have the new sensor installed. And the best part? Since lowering with the H&R springs played NO PART the entire repair is UNDER WARRANTY!

I cannot thank everyone enough for their assistance and input. Knowledge is power. It was a far different appointment today. No more discussion of, “Well it’s because you lowered it” Thank you!
This saga continues. But as I have already stated the dealership is no longer relating it to the springs. The alignment has been verified 4 times. The sensor that throws the code (can’t remember which one it is) has been changed. The air bag control modular has a been changed (Advised by FoMoCo Tech Hotline). All for nothing. The code continues to be thrown randomly. I have to drop it off and leave it now because communication with the FoMoCo Tech Hotline can only begin when the vehicle is present and can sometimes take overnight to get a response. The crazy thing is it rides great and runs great. It just keeps throwing this goofy code.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
I'm dead curious to see what the freeze frame data looks like on that, if any. Failing that I'd love to spend some time with FORScan in your car watching PIDs and hoping for a fault out. I'm dying to know what that signal looks like when it triggers the plausibility code.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm dead curious to see what the freeze frame data looks like on that, if any. Failing that I'd love to spend some time with FORScan in your car watching PIDs and hoping for a fault out. I'm dying to know what that signal looks like when it triggers the plausibility code.
I’m not sure what you mean by freeze fame data. I’m sure it’s not just FORScan showing the default code and the module it came from. That would be terribly anticlimactic. As for trying to be logging at the time it’s thrown, that would be very difficult. In all my years of driving when similar diagnostic codes were thrown regularly it was always under a situation I could recreate. Or one that was at least a little more narrowed down than this is. WOT, coasting to a stop, cornering, straight....it’s never the same. Alignment was the closest thing to a common denominator. But I will be very unhappy the day comes I have to have this realigned again. Because it is straight as an arrow! As for time riding with FORScan......Lake Wylie SC is a beautiful area! We’ll be in the 80’s and 90’s from now until late Sept.early Oct. Come on down friend! :D

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Haha! Sadly I already took my southern trips for the year--one stopped in NC, the other one in FL. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be down that way.

I know some of the base OBD-II codes will store parameters at time of fault along with the code. Not sure if this situation would result in the same, but I think it does.

You don't want me touching your car anyway. I shouldn't be trusted to change a tire. I just know a couple of random things to get the discussion started. :D

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Haha! Sadly I already took my southern trips for the year--one stopped in NC, the other one in FL. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be down that way.

I know some of the base OBD-II codes will store parameters at time of fault along with the code. Not sure if this situation would result in the same, but I think it does.

You don't want me touching your car anyway. I shouldn't be trusted to change a tire. I just know a couple of random things to get the discussion started. :D
Oh well. The wife will be glad to hear she doesn’t need to clean the guest suite! :lol: Yeah the only job I’ve ever been fired from was as a mechanics helper at a Chrysler Plymouth dealer part time while I was in my final 2 years of high school. I keep telling myself it was because it was during the times of financial troubles and Lee Iacocca. Not my inabilities. But what a blessing in disguise it was! Yet I digress.

I won’t have time in my schedule until the 21st of May to drop off, and be without for one or two days, my car. I’ll post the eventual end of the situation. Be it that the problem has been identified and resolved or I‘ve just decided this bulls got a little quirk. Since it does nothing to degrade performance and goes away with an ignition cycle, sometimes for weeks and once months, i’m getting close to saying screw it. If the dealer thinks I’ve been particular in this case (I’ve overheard tech comments, “can’t we trade him into an ‘18?” “Don’t get near this man’s car! He’s already BEEPing particular as BEEP as it is!”) I’m waiting to get mechanical straight before we get to the panel fitment issues!

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
So, I'm an idiot. I thought this code was storing in the PSCM, but it's really a creature of the ABS module. Makes sense. The Ford definition of this code, albeit in the Explorer's manual:

"This DTC sets in continuous memory and on-demand if the difference between the steering wheel angle signal and the calculated reference signal is too high or if the steering wheel angle sensor does not match other stability control sensor inputs (yaw rate, lateral acceleration, longitudinal acceleration, roll rate."

In the narrative that follows, the RCM and PSCM can both contribute data that may contribute to this fault out.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So, I'm an idiot. I thought this code was storing in the PSCM, but it's really a creature of the ABS module. Makes sense. The Ford definition of this code, albeit in the Explorer's manual:

"This DTC sets in continuous memory and on-demand if the difference between the steering wheel angle signal and the calculated reference signal is too high or if the steering wheel angle sensor does not match other stability control sensor inputs (yaw rate, lateral acceleration, longitudinal acceleration, roll rate."

In the narrative that follows, the RCM and PSCM can both contribute data that may contribute to this fault out.
The RCM - Restraint Control Modual (air bag Modual) was replaced last time at the recommendation of the Tech Support Hotline. What do you want to bet next time I get a new PSCM?

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Oh well. The wife will be glad to hear she doesn’t need to clean the guest suite! :lol: Yeah the only job I’ve ever been fired from was as a mechanics helper at a Chrysler Plymouth dealer part time while I was in my final 2 years of high school. I keep telling myself it was because it was during the times of financial troubles and Lee Iacocca. Not my inabilities. But what a blessing in disguise it was! Yet I digress.

I won’t have time in my schedule until the 21st of May to drop off, and be without for one or two days, my car. I’ll post the eventual end of the situation. Be it that the problem has been identified and resolved or I‘ve just decided this bulls got a little quirk. Since it does nothing to degrade performance and goes away with an ignition cycle, sometimes for weeks and once months, i’m getting close to saying screw it. If the dealer thinks I’ve been particular in this case (I’ve overheard tech comments, “can’t we trade him into an ‘18?” “Don’t get near this man’s car! He’s already BEEPing particular as BEEP as it is!”) I’m waiting to get mechanical straight before we get to the panel fitment issues!
FYI - I was called out of town and unable to keep the May 21st appointment. It has not thrown the code since 5-11-18. Summer is my busy season. So unless it begins throwing it again with any semblance of frequency it’s not high on my radar. I’m crossing my fingers and hoping Karma isn’t reading this post!

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
FYI - I was called out of town and unable to keep the May 21st appointment. It has not thrown the code since 5-11-18. Summer is my busy season. So unless it begins throwing it again with any semblance of frequency it’s not high on my radar. I’m crossing my fingers and hoping Karma isn’t reading this post!
Well hells bells! It’s been 47 days and more importantly around 4K miles, with over 1K of them coming in a 3 day weekend road trip, without a peep. But she threw the code again yesterday. On top of it my service advisor, who was fully up to speed on the situation, has moved and is no longer there. I’ve placed two calls to some of the other people, who I was told were filling in for him and I know are aware of the notorious reputation she has, with no return call. I really think we’re right on the verge of a final resolution. Possibly with the change of the PSCM. I’ll make a couple more calls to the service dept.

But as insignificant (zero impact) as it is to performance, and really just an occasional nuisance, I just don’t know if the ghost hasn’t won. Cycle the ignition every 4Kmiles to clear a DTC? Well that’s just like resetting the oil life meter.....right?!

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So, the beast began raising hell again. Then, after I already had a scheduled service appointment, it added a twist. The ABS light. Took it in and after diagnostics (and it threw the code while the tech was driving it) C0034 was detected. RF speed sensor. That was replaced and so far all is well. They claim something about the way the sensor was wired wasn’t exactly correct and that may have been the cause all along.

Only time will tell now.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
7 Participants
JRV1631
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing