Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dunno: i was wondering on what kind of hid lights should i put on 1998 ford taurus and what size are the bulbs

something like that

thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
It all depends on what you prefer, you can go any color you wish as long as you like it.

As far as the size of the bulbs they are 9007, AFAIK.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You can get a decent Kit for about $130, we had a thread where one of our members got us a Club Discount with a retailer.

Benefits? Besides being cool? :p, jk. Well you have a better span of light going out. As well, with the added power, it turns night into day.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
btw 5000k is not "less bright" as 8000k. thats the colour intensity.
5000k is more along the lines of whiteish and 8000k is more purpley.

·
Registered
66 Posts
btw 5000k is not "less bright" as 8000k. thats the colour intensity.
5000k is more along the lines of whiteish and 8000k is more purpley.
[/b]
Actually 5000K is white and 8000K is Blue but if you're looking for a good set go to this site and check them out they have the best deals around for HID.

Quicken Auto house HID :thumb:

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I have a question about the retro solutions HIDs...

When I went to a local auto customization shop, they said they had HID kits installed for $260 and I would have both lows and high beams (dual filament HID bulb). Is this true?

I'd rather buy retro solutions "35w 9007 bixenon kit" and install it myself, will I still be able to use my brights? I know HIDs are so bright that I probably won't need them, but it would be nice to still have them, so does this "bixenon" mean that I'll still be able to use my brights?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a question about the retro solutions HIDs...

When I went to a local auto customization shop, they said they had HID kits installed for $260 and I would have both lows and high beams (dual filament HID bulb). Is this true?

I'd rather buy retro solutions "35w 9007 bixenon kit", will I still be able to use my brights? I know HIDs are so bright that I probably won't need them, but it would be nice to still have them, so does this "bixenon" mean that I'll still be able to use my brights?
[/b]
Actually you can have high and low beam Flex Bixenon HID but they are more expensive and the 260 dollars price tag is rediculous from your local shop. They take 10 minutes for a noob to install so you're better off installing them yourself. Check the site below for what you are looking for.

High Low beam HID "Quicken Auto House" :thumb:

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Hmm, interesting.

So the Retro Solutions doesn't have hi/lo settings then?

And yeah, I did think it was pretty ridiculous to pay them all that money when I know I can do it myself.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not sure what you mean by Retro Solutions but I only bought the set with the low beams. I will not need the Hi's cause the lo beam is pretty bright to begin with. And I live in the city and it's pretty lit up all the time.

The shops like to think that were all a bunch of dumb asses and can charge a rediculous rate to install something that only takes 10 minutes but charge you for an hour.

Save your money and do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Yeah I'm in the city too so I don't necessarily need the brights, but I do a lot of highway traveling at night outside of the city as well, and brights are just good to have IMO. I was going to just get better bulbs and a new heavy duty wiring harness, but for a little more money, HIDs just look so much better.

Retro Solutions = http://www.retro-solutions.com/taurusclubGB.html

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hmm never seen that company before, I have Xentec in all my vehicles and with their ballast if I want to upgrade to Hi/Lo beam bulbs I always have the option.

Those look like some off brand where are they from?

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Dunno, but they seem to be the popular source for HID retrofitting on this forum.

I'm undecided between the kit you posted on Amazon or the Retro Solutions one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well if it helps I have had the same kit in my S-10 ZR-2 for 3 years now and have not had any problems. No replaced Ballast or Bulbs so can a Retro Fit customer say that?

·
Registered
66 Posts
They actually have been tested and submerged in water and the Ballast and Bulb were working in a 5 gallon bucket of water. So that tells you you are getting a quality product and will not fail due to weather or normal wear and tear. I just put the same set that is in my truck in my SHO so I am definitley a satisfied repeat customer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Retro Solutions is what is usually recommended by members. They are apparently quite high quality. I haven't heard of anyone having problems. 155$ shipped for the 35W Bi-Xenon, 170$ for 55W IIRC? They're competitive prices. They're warranty is pretty darn good, too, from what I've read.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Doesnt Bi-Xenon mean that theres high beams and low beams?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts