Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may sould like a stupid question but what does GTP stand for? And my friend has bought a 2000 GTP and we wondered, if we were to change the pulley on the supercharger making it smaller, thus the supercharger spinning faster, would the stock computer be able to compensate for it?

·
Registered
663 Posts
GTP stands for "Grand Touring Prototype."

If you haven't noticed, Pontiac names its cars after famous racing events: GTO, Grand Am, Grand Prix, Le Mans, Trans Am, Bonneville, etc.

GTP is a class of international racing with super-super-racecars. The cars in Le Mans are a type of these "prototype" racecars. Cadillac has a twin-turbo 4.something litre Northstar in its Le Mans prototype.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Im not sure if we can post other car club web address's on her but try www.clubgp.com lots of info and knowledgeable people. Use the search function first there or you'll be hounded since thats a "newbie" question.

The Basic upgrades would be 3.4' pulley, FWI (fender well intake), straight pipe welded in place where their is bend (u-bend?) in the exhaust pipe for no good reason. The 3.4' will add more boost and the stock computer will be able to handle it, but you will get knock. So that is why you need the FWI, and the u-bend removed to eliminate the knock retard (computer will eliminate knock up to a point, this is called knock retard, it also reduces engine power). With the mods to help get air in/and out, engine gets less knock, less knock retard since the computer wants no knock, and then can advance timing and make more power.

Read up on there, great info!

You can also PM Mickeys Taurus, he has a GTP.

-Nick

·
Registered
131 Posts
GTP stands got "GT Plus" its a level up from the GT model which is the midline. They have SE, GT, and GTP. FOr 04 I think they dropped the SE and added a GTP with Competition Group aka CompG.

Check out www.clubgp.com I hang out there all the time, great site and tell your friend to visit it!!! BTW what we cant link to other boards?? WTF is that?

The u-bend in the exhaust is right after the cats, it was put in there so that they could make the O2 sensor vertical. It really looks like a U and hampers performance badly, get it done at a good muffler shop for around $50-100. You replace it with a straight piece of pipe, and put the O2 boss on the side and when you put the sensor back in its parallel to the bottom of the car. GM probably did it so nothing would hit the sensor, but then most car nuts wouldnt really care that much.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Mar 16 2004, 08:12 AM
There's no problem with linking to other boards.
Yeah, we know you'll always come crawling back.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Did you see the bottom-half of that post? V8, AUTO, FWD. Don't bother, and spend the money on the new GTO when it comes out. At least it will be the LS1 with RWD.

As for me, I'm probably going to get the 500 when it comes out. AWD, CVT, DOHC, and lots of other letters I love.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain@Mar 17 2004, 12:51 AM
Did you see the bottom-half of that post? V8, AUTO, FWD. Don't bother, and spend the money on the new GTO when it comes out. At least it will be the LS1 with RWD.

As for me, I'm probably going to get the 500 when it comes out. AWD, CVT, DOHC, and lots of other letters I love.
All mated to a 3.0l...yeah all of that tech is going to make the DuraTEC even slower...get it? omg I crack myself up sometimes. And before you anyone interjects, I know the 3.5 is out there, but it has not *officially* been listed in the 500's options...

I thought the GXP will be based on the Bonneville? Weird, the Grand Prix has 2 hi-po models, and the Taurus has none

1 - 10 of 10 Posts