Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes2: This is wiered, When cold start-up I get this strange grumpy noise up front somewhere from the front of the body of the car. It's like something in the body or suspension is woken up and likes to growl at me. It's like an old bed, but it goes away until you park it? I have brand new springs, struts, ball joints within 6 months? This vehicle is highly maintained on all corners and drives like a dream! What's this noise? It is especially noticeable at low speed and sounds like somebody jumped in an old creaky bed--thats what it sounds like-----hopefully not with a wife or girlfriend . What is it??

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Is the car moving or stationary?

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Is it possible that it's the serpentine belt? Typically that would be stationary as well as low speed... but a slight slippage on polished pulleys and idlers that have a bit of condensation on them could make a grumping sound. Once the belt and pulleys are warm, the sound goes away.

Or a touch of rust on the rotors (again, from overnight condensation)? Our Taurus has never done this, but our VW Golf rotors rust overnight, making the first run and the first stop a symphony of sound.

If it's only while in motion, have you checked the brake backing plates? Anything rubbing on the tires (such as fender liners, splash shields, mud flaps)?

If you have standard steel wheels, what's the condition of your hub cap mounting hardware?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts