Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I could use a bit of advice. My fiance's car started making a grinding sound last night when it's put in gear. There is no difference between drive and reverse, noise is not present in park or neutral, no clunking sound when placed in gear, transmission fluid has been checked (not changed, not sure when it has been last if ever), as of now it will move forward and reverse when in the appropriate gear. I know it's something to do with the transmission but I've never dealt with those issues in the past. I'm wondering what ideas you all have and if you think it will require a transmission rebuild/replacement also if any of you have had that done what the approximate costs of that were for you, and if there are any other things to check before jumping into that.

2000 Ford Taurus
24V DOHC
Automatic transmission
213017 miles

·
Registered
235 Posts
When you put the tranny in gear, you're also putting a load on the engine. Are you sure the noise isn't coming from a component bearing on the front of the engine? This could be the alternator, water pump, tensioner, a/c compressor or pwr steering pump. Some people use a stethoscope or long handled screwdriver placed on each component to listen for bearing noise. Must be VERY careful of the serpentine belt if this method is used. Or, you could remove the serpentine belt for just a very short time and start the car to determine if the noise is still present when you put it in gear.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
534 Posts
Have you look under the hood when someone is doing this? To me it sounds like a pulley rubbing on something.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have the stethoscope but it doesn't help me much when I need to find the squeaking noise. Personally, I think the best way to find the bearing noise is to remove the serpentine belt and rotate each pulley one at a time and feel it. For example, a good water pump bearing will have some resistance when you rotate it. This might not help if the noise only happens with the load. If that is the case, then you'd better use a stethoscope.

Good luck!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I could use a bit of advice. My fiance's car started making a grinding sound last night when it's put in gear. There is no difference between drive and reverse, noise is not present in park or neutral, no clunking sound when placed in gear, transmission fluid has been checked (not changed, not sure when it has been last if ever), as of now it will move forward and reverse when in the appropriate gear. I know it's something to do with the transmission but I've never dealt with those issues in the past. I'm wondering what ideas you all have and if you think it will require a transmission rebuild/replacement also if any of you have had that done what the approximate costs of that were for you, and if there are any other things to check before jumping into that.

2000 Ford Taurus
24V DOHC
Automatic transmission
213017 miles

Check the heat shield for the catalytic converter. The rear tabs corrode off and the shield contacts the top of the converter, transmitting a harsh grinding noise into the body.

·
Super Moderator
8,670 Posts
^^^ Agree 100%. I just get a long worm drive hose clamp or two, string them together and put them around the cat heat shield. Noise gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts