Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang, just recently I've noticed that there is a very apparent grinding noise from my driver's side rear wheel when I use the brakes.

I've noticed it only happens after the car has been sitting for several hours. I drive the car about 100kms every day so the brakes are getting regular use and it happens in dry conditions as well as wet. It's not a squeaking noise like you sometimes get when the brakes are wet, but it's definitely a grinding/creaking noise. It usually happens first thing in the morning after it's been sitting over night, and after work when it's been sitting in a parking lot for several hours.

Usually after 3 good brakes, the noise disappears. I have drums in the rear and I just got my brakes inspected not even 2 months ago. At that time they were given a "green light" and the mechanic noted I have 6mm left on the invoice.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
Possible seized wheel cylinder not retracting. Feel that wheel after driving and see if its considerably warmer than the others.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Pull the drum and have a look.....

·
Registered
809 Posts
Grinding is the sign that its time to pull the drums and inspect. As previous mentioned, if a cylinder sticks it can wear the shoes down to nothing fairly quickly.
I recently had my rear brake explode, well parts broke and got wedged between the drum
and the shoe and it ate itself up and locked up my rear brake...I had it towed and got new brakes put on. Wish I had pulled the drums myself before it happened.

Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts