Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So...a few days ago I noticed my car started making a grinding noise..I could feel and hear it was coming from the driver side front tire. I took my tire off to find that the brake pads on the front left tire had worn down completely. I replaced the brake pads. On the front. The front right set of brake pads were still good with lots of pad left on it. Weird right? I dismissed the thought and drove my car for a test drive. It still makes a grinding noise on the driver side front! The noise goes away for a few seconds here and there periodically. It squeals as well periodically as I'm going down the road. I took that same tire off to inspect. I can't find anything wrong. I will say that the brake pads seem extremely close to the rotor. Not sure if that means anything. Everything seemed in order. I'm REALLY confused as what to do. For right now it's sitting on a jack in my driveway with a jackstand under it as well.....Can anyone shed some light on this situation?:unsure:

--edit--

seems like something on the front left is wobbling. Not sure what.....

·
Registered
141 Posts
also did you notice any hotspots/warpage on the rotors? if you have a depth gauge check the wear on the calipers i think its tolerant to .03 of an inch. id have to go check the books on that but im sure you would have noticed it with your eyes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed there was a nice scrape around the rotor from when the brake pad wore out..the caliper wasn't sticky. There wasn't any warping on the rotor. I do not have a depth guage..However on yahoo answers someone is telling me the caliper could be seizing? How could I tell if it is seizing?

·
Registered
20 Posts
How do I tell if the bearing is bad?
X2 on bearing. Does sound go away when you turn wheel while driving? Jack up car and grab wheel at 12 n 6 position(or 9 n 3, can't remember, maybe someone can chime in) looking for play.
HTH

·
Registered
20 Posts
When you grab the wheel, move back and forth. Your looking for movement of wheel. BTW, before jacking up car, make sure lugs are tight as loose lugs will allow movement also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sure sounds like it, all symptoms there. A few post on JU on how-to. A search on You Tube for "Taurus bearing" has a few good visual how-to's also. For me, you tube stuff puts written how to into perspective, LOL.
Good luck and keep us posted

1 - 15 of 15 Posts