Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month or so ago, my 2000 Taurus began to make a grinding noise at speed. It started when I would let off the gas at about 45 mph, but now it does it at about 25 mph. I can't hear it if I give it any gas at all, but I don't know if it's just masking or if it goes away. The car has about 125k miles on it, up to date on everything right now but alignment. Had trouble with a coolant hose, IAC sensor, and a vacuum tube, but all of those are resolved. I believe the grinding is coming from the front, but having a tough time pinning down the exact location. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what to look for, or at least an idea so I can get it looked at? I have a trustworthy mechanic, but he can't pin down the location.

·
Registered
671 Posts
QUOTE (panthersfan @ May 25 2010, 05:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806852
About a month or so ago, my 2000 Taurus began to make a grinding noise at speed. It started when I would let off the gas at about 45 mph, but now it does it at about 25 mph. I can't hear it if I give it any gas at all, but I don't know if it's just masking or if it goes away. The car has about 125k miles on it, up to date on everything right now but alignment. Had trouble with a coolant hose, IAC sensor, and a vacuum tube, but all of those are resolved. I believe the grinding is coming from the front, but having a tough time pinning down the exact location. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what to look for, or at least an idea so I can get it looked at? I have a trustworthy mechanic, but he can't pin down the location.[/b]
There're many types of grinding. Is it possible to get a vid or sound clip while driving?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like maybe an accessory pulley...the load on the belt might be just right to stress the marginal component at that speed. Maybe start by removing the belt and closely inspect each pulley for play in the bearing or noise while turning.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Idler or adjuster pulley on the serp belt, bearing in the alternator, bad power steering pump, worn out brakes, wheel bearing, something caught in a wheel or brake, take your pick.......

Jeeze, boy, investigate!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts