Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys I'm trying to put my JBL system into my Taurus today. I got everything put together but I noticed on the sub harness there is a little grey plug connector with a single red wire on it that doesnt plug into anything in my trunk. When I was removing the harness from the car at the junkyard I remember unplugging it but I didn't think that my car wouldnt have it. I'm assuming its a power wire because I now have no sound coming from the rear speakers or the newly installed subwoofer. I've searched all throughout my trunk and cant find anything it would plug into. My car is an optionless Taurus LX. If anyone could tell me what exactly that is for or if I have to go back to the junkyard to get the other end of the plug or what i need to do I would appreicate it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I believe you're referring to the red w/yellow stripe wire that provides power to the CD changer...? Pics?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jul 21 2009, 02:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741071
I believe you're referring to the red w/yellow stripe wire that provides power to the CD changer...? Pics?[/b]

Yes thats it. I kinda thought it could be for either the sub or the CD changer. So if that plug powers the CD changer than it must be my makeshift grounds that are causing my rear speakers not to work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay so after I redid my grounds I noticed the fader on the radio was set all the way to the front. I made sure the balance and fader were both set equal, however now only the passenger side rear speaker plays in the back. I get nothing from the sub woofer or the drivers side rear. The three rear speakers are all JBL speakers. The front door speakers are stock base Taurus speakers and I have the JBL tweeters in the door sails. I don't understand why I'm not getting sound from those two speakers. They all came out of the same car. I have plugged everything in right. I don't know what else could cause the speakers not to work. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Let's start with the simple steps first:

1. Did you try the speakers using the original RCU/harness to test them first? If yes, did they work? If no, proceed to #2.
2. Since you replaced the rear speakers (and they are an unknown at his point), swap the rear Left/Right speakers. Did the problem follow the speaker or is it still on the same side of the car?

If the problem followed the speaker, you have a speaker problem. If it stayed on the same side of the car, you have an amp or wiring problem. Additional information will elicit further response....
Once the rear speakers are on-line, proceed to checking the sub-system.

For the Sub:

1. With music playing, gently and lightly place a finger on the paper cone from below. Do you feel any vibration? If yes, then you simply have to adjust levels. If no, proceed to #2.
2. Using the wiring diagram found in the topic finder, test for power on the appropriate pins of the white molex connector that plugs into the sub-amp. Then test the ground.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tested all the speakers with a volt meter. All my speakers were good except for the drivers rear. Now I also found out that the grey connector with the red and yellow stripe is the same power wire that goes to the plug on the sub woofer. So I'm guessing the reason why my sub isn't working is because it isn't getting power.

I'm going to head to the junkyard tomorrow to see if I can get the other end of the plug. Does anyone know what that plug goes to? Am I going to have to pull a big huge harness out of the junkyard car? If it is just a power wire could I grab the connector out of the junkyard bull and run a new power wire?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I went to the junkyard and grabbed the other end of the plug. But on the other end there is the Red and yellow striped wire, a black and purple striped wire, and a pink and black striped wire. (I'm pretty sure that is what color they were I might be wrong sorry it was dark and in the back of my car) I understand the red and yellow is power from looking at the wiring diagram but I can't find what the other wires are for.

Anyway all those wires should be somewhere in the back of my car that I can splice into correct?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay after search around the forum for a while I found out the Red/Yellow is power the Grey/Red is mute and the Black/Purple is for a car phone. I spliced into the power wire for the RCU and finally go my sub working.

Now I remember reading that you can adjust some things on the amp or sub or somewhere for the sub woofer. I think I saw it called an ICP or something along those lines. Anyway could someone please tell me where that is exactly? Am I completely dumb and the ICP is the controls in the dash?

Anyway thanks to everyone for their help!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
QUOTE (dunbar26 @ Jul 23 2009, 03:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741454
Okay after search around the forum for a while I found out the Red/Yellow is power the Grey/Red is mute and the Black/Purple is for a car phone. I spliced into the power wire for the RCU and finally go my sub working.

Now I remember reading that you can adjust some things on the amp or sub or somewhere for the sub woofer. I think I saw it called an ICP or something along those lines. Anyway could someone please tell me where that is exactly? Am I completely dumb and the ICP is the controls in the dash?

Anyway thanks to everyone for their help![/b]
I believe that the ICP is the dash unit.. I am not 100 percent familiar with all the terms here as well...

Bass and Treb is what you want to adjust.

bass will affect how much bass is going to come out of the sub. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts