Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my situation. I recently inherited a 1999 Taurus SHO with the 24 Valve DOHC V-6 with 60,000 original miles from a friend. It had been his daily driver from the time he bought it new until he parked it one day and went to drive it later that day but couldn't get it to start again. He says it ran fine up til then, but when he tried to start it again it would just turn over and not fire at all. It has sat for about 6 years since then. I just pulled the battery out of my truck to try to turn it over and what I have found so far is that very few things electronic work. The dinger donger works when the key is in with the door open. The dome lights, head lights and clock work as well as the power seats, power door locks and keypad for the keyless entry. That's all! When you turn the key, there's nothing. No sound of the fuel pump coming on and pressurizing the fuel system. No starter engaging, not even a click. Additionally,the stereo doesn't come on, the power windows and antenna don't work, nor do the dash cluster lights. Before I go too deep in the weeds trying to diagnose the issues, does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
755 Posts
On a side note, have the cams been welded? They are prone to going and most people get that done before it's too late. Jag1959 is the man to see....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really doubt the cams have been welded. All I know is my friend said when he tried to drive it last, it turned over fine but wouldn't fire. I've only gotten far enough into it to know it's not even turning over and very few of the electrical components seem to work.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Was the 3.2 swapped in? The 3.2 was standard only for the auto.

As for your problem it sounds like the battery has really low power. Even when being jumped you need some power in the battery. The other issue may be corroded battery cables.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
My guess is bad crank sensor could have been the original issue 6 years ago.

What are your plans for it? If you intend to keep it, now would be the perfect time to perform a full 60K maintenance on it (which includes the aforementioned crank sensor).

If you want to keep troubleshooting, first get a correct battery for it and hook it up properly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
sho continental
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing