Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am in the process of adding on an amp or 2 and some new speakers to my 2002 Sable LS (electronic climate).

I previously added a Kenwood KCA-R70FM along with a PIE Cd Changer to Aux input adapter so I could get Sirius Satellite Radio in my car. When hooking it up, I had to run power & ground wire from the Kenwood unit and I found this grey plug above the RCU that had 3 wires in it. It was not plugged into anything, it was just kind of clipped there like it was waiting for something.

So I snipped 2 of the wires and one was constant 12V, another was a ground, so it worked great for hooking up the Kenwood unit. The 3rd wire is purple and grey I think. Now that I am installing an amp, I'm wondering if this 3rd wire could be a remote wire?

Anyone know what this grey plug is for, and whether the 3rd wire could be the remote wire I am looking for?

I'd rather connect the amp here if I could so the only wires I would be splicing on the RCU output harness would be for the speakers.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm pretty sure that does have the +12V for the ignition. I found it a few weeks ago. It's what I have my amps tapped into. To test, take a multimeter and test the voltage from that pin to the ground. If you get no voltage then turn on your car and see if you get anything now. If you do then you found the 12V switched connection.

EDIT: Take a look at this post I made awhile back: HERE

Derek

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats cool, I'll check it out.

I still wonder what its supposed to be for though? Is it for a power antenna or something?

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I beleive it was for the JBL subwoofer, or the CD changer. I'm leaning more towards the JBL subwoofer... i wired one i got at a junk yard to it.... i think one is power, ones ignition and one is ground...could be one positive, one amp turn on and one ground tho...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well whatever it is, its very convenient :banana:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I saw the same plug when I was putting in my (non-stock) CD Changer, judging from its position right next to the antenna, and the fact that there isn't much slack at all in the cable, I think it would be for a power antenna.

Also, the fact that it has three wires would also make me believe that, with the third wire being the remote that starts the antenna motor.

I don't have a chilton's manual/shop manual CD for the Gen 4 yet, though, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say what that plug is for...it is actually for the optional phone system Ford offered. I think it consisted of a docking plug in the center console, a mic mounted on the front visor and the ability to operate through the speakers. (take a simple 12volt tester and touch the 12 volt prong to the #3 pin in that harness and ground the tester - all while the radio is on. You should see your radio display something like "car" or "mute" or something like that)

I actually used this plug as well for my 12volt switched (thanks Ford...this couldn't have been easier).

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Even though this thread is old, the plug is for the CD changer.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
should be
Black/light green. Hot in Run/accy ....Circuit - 297 Inline Fuse 5Amp near connector (missing with out Doc)
Red/yellow - ........Hot at all Times.....Circuit -720 Inline Fuse 10Amp near connector (missing with out Doc)
Grey/red - Signal to Mute. (to ICP)... Circuit - 723

If using the Switched power. keep the consumption Low. There is suppose ta 5 Amp Next to it for a reason. Since you don;t have the phone doc. the fuse would be missing. This Circuit has a bunch on it.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Its Meant for the Phone Doc as he described. It isn't listed as part of the Cd-Changer.
Cd Changer's gets Power(Hot all times and accessory) through the main RCU plug. C388c actually.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (thesavo @ Jul 9 2009, 11:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738227
Its Meant for the Phone Doc as he described. It isn't listed as part of the Cd-Changer.
Cd Changer's gets Power(Hot all times and accessory) through the main RCU plug. C388c actually.[/b]
We must be talking about two different plugs then. Time for pix.

·
Registered
22 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jul 9 2009, 12:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738234
Cd Changer's gets Power(Hot all times and accessory) through the main RCU plug. C388c actually.[/b]
[/b][/quote]
Sorry about the mess of wires, I haven't had time to tidy them up yet. I know for a fact that this is for the car phone because if you ground the #1 pin in the plug (a direct short) it displays "CALL" on the radio display. I used the #3 plug (pictured) for the switched 12volt turn-on for my amp.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (TomT @ Jul 15 2009, 12:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739628
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jul 9 2009, 12:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738234
[/b][/quote]
Sorry about the mess of wires, I haven't had time to tidy them up yet. I know for a fact that this is for the car phone because if you ground the #1 pin in the plug (a direct short) it displays "CALL" on the radio display. I used the #3 plug (pictured) for the switched 12volt turn-on for my amp.

[/b][/quote]
Ah ha, you have a wagon, that makes it somewhat different. Funny, the CD changer uses an identical connector. But yea, you have multiple wires coming out of there, so you do have it :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts