Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys long time no talk.....anyway, Last week I went to pick up my new old tractor which is another story in itself but anyway we loaded up the truck and pulled out of the guys driveway and all of the sudden it felt like it was missing bad so I left off the gas and it went back to normal, but a couple miles down the road I was driving and all of the sudden I lost all power and the engine shut off and I coasted to a stop....which just happened to be under a shade tree......outside a church...... :lol2: ......anyway when it shut off and i was coasting I could crank and crank and crank it, very well by the way but it just would not start, so after flagging a cop down him giving me a number for a tow truck we finally got the truck home. Now before i go any further this truck is rigurously maintained with the battery, alternator, plugs, wires, coil, distributor cap, rotor etc etc done within the past year or two. When I get it home I found out that you can hear the pump turn on and when cranked can smell fuel after cranking which is normal if it doesnt fire which is what I am assuming isnt happening. Oh by the way I did replace the coil thinking it was that and for the first to starts it did not start but for some reason on the third try it did and i could keep starting it on and off that entire night even once the next morning( and ran very well with not a single miss) but now it been on a kick again where it will crank but not start. And it keeps doing this where it will start then it wont and its been over a day now and hasnt started again. Now this truck has been sitting more lately because my grandpop hasnt been working because hes on workmans comp, but i still use to drive it to work every so often to just keep it from sitting to long and I have not have any problems before until now. Also when loading my new old tractor right before it did this I was backing up to a bank and i stalled it on a slight hill, i dont think that matters to much but whatever :lol2: , Any ideas to what it may be or common problems with these trucks? I have been doing some research online and have found the computer to be bad and the ignition module to go as well, is there something im missing? BY the way its a 91 300 I6 reg cab with a 5-speed manual trans and its 2wd.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i am having a bit of trouble getting this thing off the distributor. I was able to get the one furthest away from the engine with a 7/32 deep socket that just barely fit in the tiny hole where this screw was located, but for some reason on the other side the socket rubs against the hole the entire time and I cant tell if the screw is rounded or if im not getting the socket in far enough....is there a different way to get this out without removing the distributor? I have never removed one before or have even done any timing setting. The sensor itself is facing the front of the truck and I have no problems getting to it with a socket or something because all i did was move the coil out of the way. Its really frustrating when all I have to get this off is one screw......

·
Registered
328 Posts
There's a special tool for it that costs less that 10 dollars. You can usually find it with the Lisle brand products.

Tim

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help guys, i was able to find the tool at advance and was able to get the other screw out. I then replaced the part after reading the directions :lol2: (I hardly ever do that), and wiped off the area where it was to be mounted and put some electric grease on it. After putting everything back together we went in turned the key and it started first try :thumb: so thanks again guys for the help I just hope it keeps on starting now and not the crap like it was doing before where it would start and then wouldnt :lol2: i better go out and try starting it now, since i havent since yesterday :lol2: Thanks Again Guys.....much appreciated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts