Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In attempts to make vulcans have even more mad powah, if they've got a governer, could I take it off without messing up the computer and if so where is it?

Thanks for help and advice in advance

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
in the computer... :(

G

·
Yeah, Mark is right. It's embedded in the program of the computer. The only way to get it out (correct me if wrong) is by getting a performance chip from Alberto.

Sal

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
its like 110 or 115 i dont recall, its lame, im glad its there because if it wasnt i would have broken something by now

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
108mph. An you CAN disable the speed limiter. You have to disconnect the VSS in the tranny. But It also messes up shift points, screws up the fuel tables IIRC, and it will throw a code.

·
Registered
145 Posts
112 in the 4th Gen Vulcans. Trust me I hit it all of the time while getting passed by BMW's on the autobahn. :crybabysmiley:

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
darn... I topped out around 110 somewhere. But if it only goes that fast, why do the 99 vulcans have a 120 speedo?

(thanks for the info guys)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Do you all actually think your speedometers are accurate at that speed? Your PCM monitors a sine wave generated by a gear driven device (VSS), and cuts out at a specific point. As long as you have the same tires with the same tread wear, all cars will cut out at precisely the same speed, +-0.5%, or whatever the minute margin of error is for the system.

There's nothing lame about limiters. They allow you to claim you could probably do 130, when you'd be lucky to get to 120!

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Most times the speed limiter is used to keep the top speed allowed below the speed rating of the OEM tires. Other words: It's a product liability issue.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's a good point, sfhess, although the second anyone hits the speed rating on a tire it's not going to blow up... it has to be over an extended amount of time.

G

·
Originally posted by sfhess@Sep 28 2004, 05:20 PM
Most times the speed limiter is used to keep the top speed allowed below the speed rating of the OEM tires. Other words: It's a product liability issue.
Precisely, and the vulcan governor is at 112 on Gens 3 & 4 AFAIK. :)

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by sfhess@Sep 28 2004, 04:20 PM
I really dont like the fact that the speed limiter is there but youve got a very good point. If it wasnt for that limiter i would probably be dead in some ditch after poping my 160kmph (100mph) rated tires by going like 220 (130mph) on the highway at one point or another, so dont diss the limiter.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
The speed limiter was removed on my Sable with Alberto's program. As far as the top speed, last weekend (on an open interstate with no traffic)I had the Sable opened up at full throttle to 110 and it stayed there. I was only there for a 30 secs and then I brought her back down.

The coolest thing about the experience was it shifted into overdrive at 95MPH. That was really cool.

I wouldn't do these speeds with stock tires.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Originally posted by Ryne@Sep 28 2004, 09:56 AM
darn... I topped out around 110 somewhere. But if it only goes that fast, why do the 99 vulcans have a 120 speedo?

(thanks for the info guys)
the early 99 vulcans got the 110 speedo, but 1/2 through the model year they just used 120's for everyone except the SHO. Whats it like @ 110mph anyways? The fastest i've ever gone was 93mph in rural GA.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts