Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my poor 2002.5 VW Jetta GLI got totalled by a moronic driver of a stolen car (all 3 that were in the car were caught and incarserated) rounded the corner by my house entirely too fast, I enherited my mom's 1998 Taurus LX that already had 192,000 miles on it and a partially blown head gasket which was sealed with some kind of block sealer. I drove it with basically not doing anything to it to 242,000 miles and the sealer gave out while I was driving back from lunch to work. I was still about 1.5 miles away when the temp started heading up quickly. I said to myself, I'm making it to work, lets see if she can survive. By the time I got to the work parking lot it was detonating like hell and smoke was going everywhere, but she made it. I even let it sit and refilled it with water after getting off and it STILL cranked up and ran, albeit very poorly due to at least 1 cyl not getting any compression at all. Water actually dripped from the tailpipe while it was idling. I even DROVE it like that to the guy's house that I changed the engine at. It took 3 gallons of water to make it 8 miles. I already had bought a 99 LX for $200 wrecked for parts in case of needing anything for the car. I just swapped the engine over (150,000 on the clock on that one) and it fire off on the FIRST try and purred like a kitten. So if anyone doubts the durability of the Vulcan engine, I can PROMISE you if properly taken care of, it would probably outlast the body (and transmisson) of the car.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts