Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that havn't notice my post in someone else's thread, then you know my good news. If you havnt, then I'll tell you my good news. It seems I'll bet getting the passenger side exhaust set up and the y pipe from a guy online I emailed. So looks like i'll be getting dual exhaust pretty soon! Also, to nicely complimant my duel exhuast, another flowmaster on the passenger side to balance out with the driver side one.
Now for my plan.
Im gonna get the chorme tip taken of my driver side muffler. In its place, and also put on the passenger side, im gonna get those exhaust tips with red LED's around it, and hook them up to my brake lights. Sound like a good idea?
Here's an example of one if you never seen em.
http://www.sevensaturdays.com/pics/apc_156072lre.jpg' alt='' width='350' height='339' class='attach' />[/url]
I think it would be cool, and look good with the led brake light bar on my spoiler.

2 questions.
1. Anyone ever find out where i can get a led light bar since a few on my spoiler are out?
2. To just throw this out there. What about getting 2 flowmaster's with the dual outlets, and put 2 of these led tips on each one? I dont know if they would fit next to eachother, but just incase. It would remind me of the vette's with the 2 circle brake lights on each side of the car.

I personaly think it may add to much cost to it. Have to buy 4 instead of 2 tips, and by 2 new mufflers with the dual outlets(which i think cost more, maybe) instead of 1 new one. Besides, i think what i want to do is pretty orignal enough, atleast for a sable. Think i could make car of the month sometime with this :o ? lol.
Wouldn't mind doing the flip flop truck mod either...

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
I've seen those a few "ricers" around here and i'd have to say they don't look like they light to well. The idea of having a lighted muffler to me sounds :gay: . But who am I to tell you what you like and what you want to do, if ya like it go for it!

Also i think 4 of them would be a bit too much

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i do agree, 4 is a bit much. just an idea. I was thinking though that it would be neat as another set of brake lights. You could be right, it does sound ricey. what does everyone else think? Lighted muffler tips as brake lights? yay or nay.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Yeah, I think it is a little on the :rice: side IMO.

·
Registered
292 Posts
rice rice rice...and check around..where I'm from they are right up there with underbody lights and are illegal

·
Registered
517 Posts
i had them on my old burb with duals they were only on with the blinkers or the brakes ... looked pretty sweet i thought

rice rice rice...and check around..where I'm from they are right up there with underbody lights and are illegal

if he uses red it will be all good cause you can only have red lights in the rear of your car ... i looked it up ... makes sence all break lights are red i dont think a cop is going to stop you for haveing more brake or turn signals than what came stock that would be pretty dumb on the officers half...but in Michigan they are legal just so long as they're red

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by 96waggin@Oct 19 2004, 09:24 AM
i am thinking it by be ricey. I hate your sig too, i cant stop staring at it everytime i see it :lol2:

I always had the idea of like underbody kit, except rear is extra brake light, and sides were blinker. That would be different. whole under body is flashing as a turn signal... STUPID RICERS. they've ruined everything. now almost any mod can be "rice" nowadays. But can anything be dubbed ricey when everyone does it? sept big wings, thats always gonna be rice. am i getting redudant with the word rice? lol

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well, it isn't like you are claiming the red glow is from your newly installed warp reactor core. I can't say for sure how it would look, but its definately a good/outside the box idea. Worse case scenario is that you get it all set up and decide you don't like the look and sell the tips on ebay or something. Do whatever you like and you think looks good. Take some picks and keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
I dont think it'd be a bad idea, i think it hsa potential. I want duals for my car too.. the place by KFC quoted me $350 dollars for duals w/ magna flow mufflers.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think i'll give it a try. I personally would like it, but we'll have to see what kind of comments i get from friends and such. I know its more so matters what i like. But theres a orange mustang around here, that has the hood with the big cowl that goes from flat to about 7 inches tall at the windshield. The guy might like it, but it looks sooo bad. It's like whats the point, on a orange mustang. I think it would be better in black. Anyways. I think i'll give it a try. Like Mantioch said, i can always sell em back on ebay. maybe for not as much, but i think id rather give it a try and not like it than wonder what if...

Too afi, Duals would be cool, but 350 is harsh. But i like you said, seems that theres no good path for 2nd exhaust so guess its expected. Lucky for me, gen 3's could come stock with duals, so theres already a good path set. And that i find a guy that can get me what i need. And a shop that can put it on. And thats its under 200 bucks :banana: . But hey, you got the money afi, then i say do it!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Originally posted by 3.0cammer@Oct 19 2004, 09:32 AM
i had them on my old burb with duals they were only on with the blinkers or the brakes ... looked pretty sweet i thought

if he uses red it will be all good cause you can only have red lights in the rear of your car ... i looked it up ... makes sence all break lights are red i dont think a cop is going to stop you for haveing more brake or turn signals than what came stock that would be pretty dumb on the officers half...but in Michigan they are legal just so long as they're red
well unless you looked it up for Va, i would guess they are illegal, and back that up with a 80% chance that they are, as 96waggin said they most likely are illegal here and he's most likely right... Va is the strictest (that i know of) when it comes to these types of "street/car lighting/whatever you want to classify it as" things.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll look into it. but it doesnt seem mi. is to strict about what you do to your car. whoever said it above i think is right though. I cant see a cop stoping me for another set of "brake lights." Cops around here arent very harsh so i hear. but the state cops, seesh...

I'll leave it at that.

*edit*
I found a website that'll link you to your state police website it seems. but i like how the only one i need is the only one not working <_<
http://www.ameca.org/

Look at california's one. (i just clicked on it for the heck of it, not like im checking all of them :p ) I like how they have a camero cop car doing a burnout..............

·
Registered
281 Posts
49CFR571.108 shows in table IV that stop lamps on passenger vehicles may not be placed in an area 15" tall from the surface of the road.

If you can clear that height, you may still have two other problems.

1) Most states do not allow lamps placed underneath the body of the vehicle (this application fits the definition) to be directly viewable from outside the car. Specifically, a person sitting at average height in a passenger vehicle "x" feet away from your vehicle should not be able to see the source of the light, only it's reflection, and often only from something that diffuses the light, like the ground, dull painted chassis parts, etc.

2) There are minimum and maximum candela rating requirements. I don't think you'll have a problem with those things not meeting the minumum candela rating as long as the oem lamps are in place and the muffler lamps are not overly distracting, but you could get into trouble on the high side. if the LED's used are narrow angle, high brightness chips, they can easily exceed the maximum rating, and can cause extreme glare to people behind you. I've seen some home-brewed LED stop lamp conversions that looked like 150W red bulbs when following the vehicle. I'm betting that, somewhere in the packaging for those hideous muffler lamps (you did ask for opinions, right? ;), the phrase "For off-road use only" exists.

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
I think those tips would look great on my car. With all the flames I will have on it.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm. Glad you found that. I suppose no need for it. Would be neat, but why do it when you have to just wait to get stopped. Then again, the only time a cop would see them was when i'm stopped since they would be hooked into the brake lights :p . I suppose i wont do it, rather spend 15 bucks or less on 2 chrome tips than 50 on 2 tips with lights. Girlfriend even said it looked ricey, and she doesnt exactly seem like the type to say that, haha. So no go on the light show. But none the less, i'll be getting dual exhaust with dual flowmasters. That makes me dance for joy :chili: .

What about my other idea. Any sense in getting a couple flowmaster's with the dual outlets and have quad exhaust tips? Or is that to much. I personally think it would be. but how many sables do you think u'll see with quad tips out the back? My whole goal is to make my sable stand out as far from the crowd with out being to out there in space. Just like everyone else here! Still lovin this site too. Nice to have opinions from people's who have the same general vehicle.

I dont expect to have this all on and complete to after next week. With delievery and such and getting scheduled in at my shop. Maybe next friday if im lucky. Thanks for the comments and help so far!

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by 96_sab_gs@Oct 19 2004, 11:07 PM
I think i'll give it a try. I personally would like it, but we'll have to see what kind of comments i get from friends and such. I know its more so matters what i like. But theres a orange mustang around here, that has the hood with the big cowl that goes from flat to about 7 inches tall at the windshield. The guy might like it, but it looks sooo bad. It's like whats the point, on a orange mustang. I think it would be better in black. Anyways. I think i'll give it a try. Like Mantioch said, i can always sell em back on ebay. maybe for not as much, but i think id rather give it a try and not like it than wonder what if...

Too afi, Duals would be cool, but 350 is harsh. But i like you said, seems that theres no good path for 2nd exhaust so guess its expected. Lucky for me, gen 3's could come stock with duals, so theres already a good path set. And that i find a guy that can get me what i need. And a shop that can put it on. And thats its under 200 bucks :banana: . But hey, you got the money afi, then i say do it!
omg i see that orange mustang...that cowl..if its not there in order to fit some mad supercharger, it was dumb to put on beause well its ugly.

ANd damn, that guy smokes alot...he pulled up next to me at the car wash by dominos pizza...and he rolled down his window and smoke just poored out of his car..kinda like cheech and chong style LOL :lol2:

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Lighted tips = very bad idea, IMO. Spend that money on some tint or for a K&N filter, or anything that isnt just there to attract attention.

If I saw something like that I would laugh and think the owner has more $$ than brains. :huh: :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts