Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I normally get up at 5:30am anyway, but this morning I was woken up by one of the two fire alarms I have in the house. I have one on each end of my mini-home. I was in a dead sleep, I remember hearing it in my sleep, then I came around. It took me a couple seconds to recognize the sound. Jen woke up as well asking what was going on. I jumped out of bed and cautiously opened the bedroom door. Just as I opened it, the alarm stopped. I turned on the light just outside my bedroom and looked around. Didn't see anything, so I slowly made my way to the other end of the house smelling and looking for smoke. Everything checked out fine. Then I thought about the baseboard heater which is below the fire alarm. I had just barely turned off, it was still hot to touch. So I pulled the alarm off of the ceiling and placed it on the table, then went back to bed after taking a second look around. My nerves were shot at that point, not something pleasant to wake up to. I'm buying a replacement for that fire alarm, it's gone off before when cooking pork chops or hamburgers. The fire alarm in the kitchen has never gone off unless I'm testing it.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Could be low on batteries. I once woke up to the fire alarm going off in our basement. I instantly woke up and jumped out of bed, grabbed my cell phone and had 911 ready to dial, ran downstairs, saw no smoke, just a beeping piece of **** alarm.

Turns out the battery was shot. My other good ones just beep occasionally when low, not go off... That was an interesting day for me.

First Alert seems like a good brand, we have that all throughout our house. Never gotten a false alarm, and when batteries go low before we change em, it just beeps every couple minutes/half hour/hour (depending on how low it is)

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might have been a low battery, but I put a new on in during this spring gone by because the last one was weak. It beeped every couple minutes. This went off for no less then 30 seconds. I do have a first alert alarm just outside my bedroom door. I paid about $25 for it two years ago. I'm going to go out and buy another. I don't like not having no alarm on the far end of my home.

I can tell you this though, this is a hell of a way to instantly wake yourself up and jump out of bed, instead of laying there for a while....lol

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I've started getting Ultralife 9v lithium batteries, they're supposed to last about 10 years in a smoke alarm, but it seems you should get at least 4-6 years which is still better than the year or so out of a regular battery. Anyway, you're supposed to replace them every 10 years, but it sounds like they're false alarming when they get dirty. You could also try getting photoelectric smoke alarms, they cost a little more than the regular ionization alarms, but they're supposed to false alarm less often. I think there's some talk of requiring both types of alarms in some areas so you might be stuck with a particular kind. One interesting statistic was that about 30-40% of the smoke alarms out there have dead batteries.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
we have hard wired alarms in the house connected to adt and when those suckers
go off no one is sleeping. they are loud as all hell, then the fire department arrives shortly after. :blink:

if you have hard wired alarms vacuum them because dust and spiders will set them off.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a new alarm this afternoon and put it up. It wasn't the battery dead on the old one. I read the back, if it were dead the alarm would have gave a short beep every 45 seconds. In this case it was at least 30 seconds of alarming...if that's even a word. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts