Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had this P0442 small evap leak detected. I need to get it inspected soon and I’ve read that the filler neck vent line is usually the culprit. There is a rubber hose that runs to a hard line headed to the front of the car. I’m guessing that is going to the egr. This hose looks rotted out and it’s flaking off to the touch. Before I start throwing parts at it, could this be what is throwing my code or would this give me a different issue?
0229F6A4-BA30-4BCD-A034-7B0DE5309B42.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
Nothing at the rear of the car has anything to do with EGR!!

If that hose is actually leaking, replace it.

There are MANY possible sources for an EVAP leak...... gas cap, hoses, purge solenoid, filler neck, failing O rings in the EVAP hose quick connectors, pinhole leak in the gas tank (usually on the top where salt, moisture collect), etc, etc

A smoke test should help locate the leak.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing at the rear of the car has anything to do with EGR!!

If that hose is actually leaking, replace it.

There are MANY possible sources for an EVAP leak...... gas cap, hoses, purge solenoid, filler neck, failing O rings in the EVAP hose quick connectors, pinhole leak in the gas tank (usually on the top where salt, moisture collect), etc, etc

A smoke test should help locate the leak.
I read somewhere that it went to the EGR valve. It hits a hard line I haven’t had the opportunity to trace it forward yet. This being a wagon, info is difficult to find sometimes. I wanted to just change the hose and see if it worked, but if other tauruses have hoses that look like this that are functioning, I don’t want to spend money for nothing. The dealer has no info on this crumbling hose and I haven’t been able to find replacement part numbers online. I know a smoke test will narrow it down, but if others have fixed this same problem, I’d rather learn from others experience than to play the guessing game

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
What you read is wrong. EGR pipe runs from the firewall side exhaust manifold to the EGR valve, and has the 2 small ports on it that go to the DPFE.

The hose you are looking at is just a hose...... if vit is leaking get some bulk "emission hose" from the parts store and replace it. Might require some fab work and some hose clamps.

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
That hose doesn't go to the EGR as stated above, guarantee!! It goes to the gas tank as part of the vapor recovery system. This is a pic of my 2001 tank I replaced, you can see where it connects.
IMG_0497.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts