Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Should have known it was coming grrrrr

Just bolted the damn blower back on, changed all the fluids and all that good stuff, basically just put the damn engine back together.  Backed it out for a test drive and 30 seconds later when i gave it 50% throttle it happened!!!!

REVVVV REVVV grind grind.  Came to the stop sign not even a block from my house with engine still running and the car wouldnt go forward or backward.

So i'm sitting there ---- out of luck and gotta wait for my dad to **PUSH** me back to the house so I can see what the ---- is up...oh and managed to scratch my bumper in the process.

Engine rotates freely when you turn the crank bolt (not seized)
Rotation is seen all the way on the other side of engine (crank not broken)
Starter engages and just makes the worst grinding noise ever, look up in there and there it is, flywheel with center section broken out 

So PISSED right now!

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I blame the rough crappy shifting of that God forsaken tranny of mine!

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Oh man, that's really sad to hear DMX...what are your plans now? Fix the flywheel and rebuild the tranny with a shift kit?

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Since you are pioneering this, you are gonna find the weak links..

I would have never suspected the flexplate as being a weakpoint though.. Hrmmm..

WE NEED PICS!!!

Jeramie

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Arrrg is just frustrating because I havent driven my baby all week long.

Trust me, there will be lots and lots of pics again. I'll probably just make a junk yard run to get anotherflexplate and *maybe* another tranny - just to keep me going until i can actually get a good one.

I'd like to get that 114LCA version of my cam installed too, i'm not too sure if thats going to happen just yet though, the engine pull just got moved up by about 2 months so....yeah :)

Anyway stay tuned, at least it wasnt anything major, just gonna be a pain to pull the engine when I dont have any more go fast parts for it yet.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think back and realize that the noise I had MUST have been coming from a partially damaged flywheel (after changing all the rod bearings and double checking bottom half of all the bottom main bearings from under the car the noise returned). I guess after being warmed up to engine temperatures, a hot spinning metal disk doesnt like driving through deep puddles of water.

PS: Jeramie, I got a couple of thos axode manuals from bulkparts last year, if you want i'll scan and send you every single page, maybe it will help with the bulletproof hybrid idea of yours :)

Anyway It has begun

http://ruffryde.rapperdmx.com/engine1.jpg' alt='' width='1632' height='1232' class='attach' />[/url]

[url=http://ruffryde.rapperdmx.com/engine2.jpg][img]http://ruffryde.rapperdmx.com/engine2.jpg' alt='' width='1632' height='1232' class='attach' />[/url]

[url=http://ruffryde.rapperdmx.com/engine3.jpg][img]http://ruffryde.rapperdmx.com/engine3.jpg' alt='' width='1632' height='1232' class='attach' />[/url]

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Cool, that would help bigtime!

The trans project is on hold because I still have not finished the bodywork and paint on my Supercouope... I had a guy that was gonna paint it for me in trade for a built up AOD transmission, but he flaked on me and now I'm stuck with no paint and a $2k performance transmission..

It will cost $2k to have the car finished by a local paint shop.. GRRRRRRR :angry:

I'm thinking of picking up another Taurus today.. Its a 1992 "L" model (very basic, roll up windows, manual locks, etc..) But the wierd thing is, it has the 3.8L.. It has a blown headgakset, severe rod knock, and 143k on the clock. But its only $250, and the car has a brand new trans with a trans-go kit installed and the lube mods done (he has paperwork, trans has 4k mile on it since rebuild) and it is in pretty decent shape. No rust (mile high car), and the interior is good. It is dark blue with a gray interior.. No dings or dents even, the car is strait!

I'm thinking this might become a project car :chili:

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Wow...sorry to hear that man...

Your car is really badass...can't wait to see what happens when you get it all fixed up though!

By the way...why did you have everything apart in the first place?

JR

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
holy shiznit.. That motor's got some BALLZ to be able to do that...

BTW, I didn't buy that other taurus, its a good deal but I don't have room for 3 cars! Actually I don't have room for the 2 I have!

Good luck fixing that up..

Jeramie

·
Registered
263 Posts
That setup is so awesome but I think it is seeing more miles hanging from an engine hoist then it is on the road. It is too mad you can't get a mtx on that thing.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
yea so he can completely destroy 3rd gear. hell that thing probly has enough torque to destroy 2 or 4th

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol Its really not as all powerful as some might think, my whole goal was for some RAW torque....any added top end HP was just a welcome side effect :)

I had it apart to replace a couple of sensor wires that got burned by the exhaust manifold, and while I was at it i rerouted everything so there was plenty of clearance.

Anyway I think i'm going to order that new flexplate today ( should take about 2 or 3 days to come in from autozone), the local junkyards wanted $35, car-part wanted 30, so I just decided on the $40 one from autozone....pretty much everything they sell comes with a lifetime warranty.

below are a couple of pics of the actual damaged item.

Jeramie, I've got the manuals about 25% scanned (1/2 of one of the 2 books), I forget, do you have broadband? If not i'll compress them down some more.

http://ruffryde.rapperdmx.com/broken-flexplate1.jpg' alt='' width='1632' height='1232' class='attach' />[/url]

[url=http://ruffryde.rapperdmx.com/broken-flexplate2.jpg][img]http://ruffryde.rapperdmx.com/broken-flexplate2.jpg' alt='' width='1632' height='1232' class='attach' />[/url]

:o :o :o :blink: :blink:

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
X, yea I got high speed broadband!

I may also have spare core trans for ya if I decide to buy another taurus..

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
DMX, we just had a 99 windstar come into the shop a few days ago with a weird knocking noise coming from it..... they ripped into it, and found out that the flexplate was heading the same way that yours did......

hmmm, me think that they are weak flexplates to begin with......

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
:eek: That's madness. But gotta give a :thumb: for the work so far.

-mobiuslogic

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Reminds me of what happened to my replacement for the Taurus, a 97.5 Regal GS (81,000 mile Supercharged 3800 Series 2 engine). Driving along one day this chatter type noise gets worse then clang clang, and engine dies. Had it towed to Buick told us it was the flexplate, the warranty wouldn't cover it so then it was towed to where we bought it a Lexus dealer. The warranty wasn't even activated yet since we only had the car for less then 24 hours and it broke, Lexus fixed it for free tho, and gave us a 2004 Lexus RX330 rental which we still have since the car isn't back yet, that was two weeks ago on Friday this happened. I've never really heard of flexplates breaking but it happens I guess.

Yeah I know i'm driving a GM :rolleyes:

-Nick Saturday

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
well about you being able to break 3rd in an MTX i am just figuring that you wouldn't even bother down shifting if you smash it from say about 25 or 30 mph

i have never sceen a flewplate look like that..... i wounder if ford is cheep and jsut uses the same flex plate design for the 5.0L mustangs?

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Well, that and the Regal GS that was mentioned earlier might have weak flexplates for their application - given that both cars are hi-torque versions of cars that the flexplates were originally designed for. Is the flexplate all that youre doing for now while the engine is out DMX? Seeing that flexplate makes me wonder about your tranny :D

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:eek: That's madness. But gotta give a :thumb: for the work so far.

-mobiuslogic
[/b]

:D

edit: didn't realize the old thread pictures were broken, i'll log into the control panel and see what happened.

edit: edit: fixed :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts