Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after the car sat for a yr now i got a new battery and hooked up along w/some lucas engine treatment. i got it started and it seems to stay runing but i am hearing a helacious rattle like broken gears or sumtin like coming from the top of the motor, what could this be and can it be fixed? i have found a lil bit of glitter in the oil so i know that is metal, but it is very little. could it be a broken rocker or lifter or what? anything recommended as for use for an additive into the oil to help w/the knocking? another example of the sound could be like someone tapping a hammer on the upper plenum!

anyhelp would greatly be appreciated!!

thanks all!

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
glitter in the oil?? well thats not good!

If its just a tap and not a knock it could be the injectors.

Im a gen 3/4 guy, so im not 100% on that one.

Good luck!

-Damon

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it is a knock, sounds like its at teh top of the motor. i also noticed after letting it run for a bit it started getting hot so i felt the top hose from radiator to therm and there was no heat or anything so i took the thermostat off and the hose was dry, started the car and no antifreeze went thru at all! the radiator and overflow tank is full! so wth? water pump just plain broke? so after overheating like this w/inside engine dry, what is knocking and can it be fiuxed? or is it screwed?

thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i also forget to mention that for some damned reason the oil light comes on, but the best part is it doesnt stay on, it flashes on and off! can someone tell me about this?? i have never heard of or seen anything like this!

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Ok, stop turning on the engine. Now. :blink:

The glitter in the oil is undoubtedly the remnants of a bearing or three. The knocking is actually coming from the bottom end, more than likely from the #1 or #4 connecting rods. Or both. Either way, if the crank was damaged to any significant extent, you're probably looking at replacing the motor. :(

The bearings can be accessed by removing the Y-pipe (fun. Not. <_< ), the oil pan (more fun <_<) and then the rod caps (The most fun, right Bob?).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts