Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the whole day with my dad working on a CAI and we finally put one together. I went the cheap way and bought a 3" cone filter, which the guy working said at the store was not the ones you clean with oil, like the k&n. I got it anyways, next time i need to replace the filter, ill just get a good one.
Then i went to Home Depot and looks around. I ended up buying a bathroom piece for my MAF, btw that connected perfectly after i cut the edges. Here what i bought

Cone Filter $25
Aluminum 3" bendable tubing, 5 ft long $7.95
Draining pipe piece (from filter to tubing) $1.99
Toilet drain ficture $9.95
2 metal clamps $3 each
TOTAL $50.92

I actually noticed the car was louder and meaner.. I could also hear the Air Filter hissing and breathing sometimes, when i rev it up to 4k and let go of the peddle. I dunno if it was amagination but i had a good time working on the car today..

I got pictures now.. http://www.superford.org/?vID=4663

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
You spent $25 on filter and it's not reusable? WTF? I spent like $35 or $38 on my K&N cone filter (RF-1025). If it's a paper filter, it won't tolerate water, so I hope you have it protected until you upgrade. Also, if you're hearing hissing, make sure you check for leaks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That does seem a little high for a paper filter. But mikehawk, I thought no filter could handle water? I was thinking of putting on a cai when the weather got nice, but I was going to put on one of those valves that is supposed to stop the water from going into your engine. Anyone else try this?

·
Registered
559 Posts
were can you get though's valves b/c come spring I'm going to try
and make real cai out of pipe

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by whtcar@Feb 9 2004, 11:41 AM
But mikehawk, I thought no filter could handle water? I was thinking of putting on a cai when the weather got nice, but I was going to put on one of those valves that is supposed to stop the water from going into your engine. Anyone else try this?
The K&N filter can handle water, but your engine is another story. K&N's are made to be washed out with water and a "cleaning solution" several times throughout their use, the cotton gauze filter element won't deteriorate. I don't think you'll get hydro locked unless your filter is completely submerged in water. I mean, I'm not a scientist or an engineer, but my filter gets wet all the time (stupid tropical climate...) and my engine is still running. Just make sure to re-oil the filter if it looks pale or white when it dries out, because the oil is there to catch dirt as air passes through the filter.

·
Banned
509 Posts
I have a CAI, and I drove from Houston to San Antonio in POURING Rain, it was soo bad that I had to pull over and wait for the rain to let up.. And I was worried about my CAI sucking in Water.. So about 200 miles into the trip, I pulled over, opened up where I could see the TB, and I felt it, it was bone dry.. So I am not concerned about it anymore.. but I also raised my CAI...

Check My SF Account For Pics..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts