Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAR: 1999 FORD TAURUS WAGON 3.0 OHV

PROBLEM: can not get rack to hook up to steering knucklenext to fire wall
i am looking for and help to get them to hook back up we disconnected sub frame and removed the motor from the bottom and we did mark every thing and stuff like that to make shire every thing gets hooked back up right way. but the knuckle went sideways in the boot and now we can not get it out to put the rack back in right so what is the trick to hook back up the rack (gear box) to the steering column please help...

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
patience is the key. If it's anything like a lot of the GM vans, they are a bugger to get back it. You're going to have to just get your hand in the boot, while trying to hold it back some. You won't be able to push the boot off, You're going to have to go mainly off of feel. Someone else may have a trick, but I never been able to get it any other way.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
if it is like the two 97's that I did the boot comes off with 3 bolts from the inside of the car. You can slide the boot up the steering shaft and you should have all the room your need. connecting and disconnecting is done in the car.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
^^^Lol, I ws thinking of a different setup. I never thought of that, the way I was thinking was a boot that covered over the u-joint on the end of the shaft. The one's I've done I was not able to push the boot up really. I haven't had to unhook the steering shaft from my rack yet...

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
no just peel back the carpet. you may have to drop the back of the subframe to get it to pull far enough apart to line up correctly.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing here. You are trying to connect the bottom of the steering column to the steering rack?

No need to move the carpet, remove the dash, or drop the back of the subframe. If you remove the boot from inside the car you will have all the room you need. The bottom of the column has u joints and a slip joint in it and has all sorts of play with the boot removed it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to connect. You may want to have the key in the ignition so the wheel won't lock while you are trying to reconnect it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing here. You are trying to connect the bottom of the steering column to the steering rack?

No need to move the carpet, remove the dash, or drop the back of the subframe. If you remove the boot from inside the car you will have all the room you need. The bottom of the column has u joints and a slip joint in it and has all sorts of play with the boot removed it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to connect. You may want to have the key in the ignition so the wheel won't lock while you are trying to reconnect it.
yup that is what i am talking about thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts