Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, my 97 Vulcan now has its blistering heat back. I thought the thermostat was sticking open. Went on a wild goose chase trying to find a motorcraft thermostat. All of the chains here did NOT stock them. Most could not even order them. Finally found a small independent parts house that had one in a day. Had a misfire on install. Put it in with the jiggle valve up. It did not seem to be torquing down right. Started putting antifreeze in it, then after i poured 1/3 of a bottle did i notice it leaking right back out on the other side of the car by the thermostat. AHT! took it back apart. I guess during the first install the thermostat slipped out of the lip ring in the neck. SO, i tried it again. This time, i felt the position through the exposed radiator hose hole in the mount. I slowly screwed it down and it felt right this time. Filled it up, and started it. BINGO! heat went up from 115/135 to 175/195. So, it WAS a sticking stat. And it was a failsafe by motorad. Guess it did fail safe (and prematurely). Looked at it and it was stuck open on the tangs that grab it if it goes too far open (fail safe mechanism). The old stat looked fine otherwise. I did flush out the heater core before it got cold, but it seemed to be flowing ok. But it never hurts to get any crud out of it I did almost get frostbite on my fingers doing this in the driveway in 10 degree weather, but the heat i got now was worth it. Found this tid bit too about fail safes: Motorad "Fail-Safe" thermostat - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well, my 97 Vulcan now has its blistering heat back. I thought the thermostat was sticking open. Went on a wild goose chase trying to find a motorcraft thermostat. All of the chains here did NOT stock them. Most could not even order them. Finally found a small independent parts house that had one in a day. Had a misfire on install. Put it in with the jiggle valve up. It did not seem to be torquing down right. Started putting antifreeze in it, then after i poured 1/3 of a bottle did i notice it leaking right back out on the other side of the car by the thermostat. AHT! took it back apart. I guess during the first install the thermostat slipped out of the lip ring in the neck. SO, i tried it again. This time, i felt the position through the exposed radiator hose hole in the mount. I slowly screwed it down and it felt right this time. Filled it up, and started it. BINGO! heat went up from 115/135 to 175/195. So, it WAS a sticking stat. And it was a failsafe by motorad. Guess it did fail safe (and prematurely). Looked at it and it was stuck open on the tangs that grab it if it goes too far open (fail safe mechanism). The old stat looked fine otherwise. I did flush out the heater core before it got cold, but it seemed to be flowing ok. But it never hurts to get any crud out of it I did almost get frostbite on my fingers doing this in the driveway in 10 degree weather, but the heat i got now was worth it. Found this tid bit too about fail safes: Motorad "Fail-Safe" thermostat - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat
Thank you, for the heads up and the link.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never even heard of Motorad. Guess I know why now?
The funny thing about the whole deal is the "fail safe" thermostats are about at any of the parts stores. The Motorcraft is not. go figure. most ALL the thermostats i looked at that the parts stores had did NOT have a jiggle valve in them. My failsafe failed wide open. Just like the link provided showed. I suppose i could pry the lock tangs loose on the lock and reset it, but why? It stuck once, it will probably stick again. My dash temp gauge is still way out of calibration, but i knew that already. At 197degrees on the scan gauge, its almost touching the top line of the safe zone. And yes, i already changed the sender so its not that. I think the only solution to that is to change the dash pod, and its not worth it for only that issue. the car has such good heat now, once it warms up, i have to turn it down it gets so warm inside. in this chilly weather in Nebraska, that's a great problem to have ;)

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
I've never had a failsafe last more than a month in any vehicle. I've had pretty good luck with Duralast thermostats from Autozone, although they're still made by Motorad.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never had a failsafe last more than a month in any vehicle. I've had pretty good luck with Duralast thermostats from Autozone, although they're still made by Motorad.
i think at the time they were the only ones in stock with a jiggle valve when i looked at them last time around. they were pimped as a premium stat. Why the upper end Stant that some carried did not have the jiggle valve is strange. It seemed to work fine up to the point of stuck wide open. It made it a couple of years.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I use Stant brand, get them at Carquest.

Got a used car long time ago real cheap to fix up,
it was not running, the oil filter was a Group One brand.

Cut it open and it had nothing inside of it!
Yes, empty metal can.
That was why the engine failed,
piston rings seized up, connecting rod wrist pin wore out
the aluminum piston.

Dropped the oil pan and the oil was like chocolate pudding.
nasty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.