Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I heard it was a challenge... but I got it anyway. the engine is in my truck, and the transaxle is in the garage. I want to put it in my vulcan. What do I need now? I only paid 800 for both! Only 27k miles on the engine and transaxle. Came out of a 98 Taurus I believe. The rear end was smashed by a front in loader that backed over, totaled the car out but the engine was still in great shape, right along with the transaxle. Its been sitting at Liberty Auto Salvage for awhile in their garage in a corner. Been there for a good 6 years. Had a tarp over it.

So my next question is what do I need to put it in my current taurus? I assume electrical wise it'd be just plug and play, but I've only put one engine in before, and that was a 4.6L Triton V8. I am not planning on this project till summer right now I am working on door locks, and the other minor pissy things that bother me. I doubt my exhaust will bolt right up so I guess I need to get Exhaust, cats, and manifolds? I had help with the other engine I put in, all the plugs and stuff like that and even the putting of the engine in I had a great amount of help, and thats been 5 years ago so I am not sure I am up to this, but I am willing to try. I got a buddy with a Pontiac Grand Am GT, my car stays next to his till it hits 70 as it is, and then he leaves me in the dust crying. He got smoked last week by a SHO, and his mouth overloaded his ass. I was in the passenger seat. Met this guy at Autozone in a taurus it looked like a vulcan, sounded like one, but apparently we later discovered by the guy at autozone that knows him first hand, that he dropped an SHO engine in it, and went out of his way to make it sound like it was nothing but a little vulcan.

Anyway he got his ass kicked bad, and the worst part of it is, the taurus gave him a head start. Ever since then I sit up at night thinking of it, now I got one, and I want to do the same.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
All wiring, subframe, I believe the fuel system is different, so lines.

In the end, you are paying more to swap than to buy a V8SHO

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Whatever you do with the motor, make sure the cams are welded. Otherwise, you'll do a lot of work only to have the cams fail.

You can search around the forum for more about welded cams. I'm not a V8 SHO expert.

What you could do is see if you can find a V8 SHO with a toasted motor for cheap and then swap the good motor in.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
i know it is much easier to swap into a car with the duratec you will need fuel system components, wiring computer, power steering res. idk is the radiator or fans different? anyway see if you can find a pic or two of a sho engine bay and compaire it to your own cause in the end you are going to want it to look identicle to the sho's engine bay

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been looking haven't found an SHO for sale here, and I ain't paying what people are asking for them, theres no way. This engine is in awesome shape. I have more then one vehicle, and this summer a friend and I are going to tear into this. Hes a mechanic so it'll be easier for him to help. Hes doing some checking on parts.

I will let you guys know how it goes when I start, but any advice will be great. I haven't ever done this, but I want to so bad now :p....

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Consider another 800 for a weld, you are now 1600 deep. After you buy the rest of the parts, you could have bought a complete V8 car welded, cheaper.

Not trying to birng you down, just been around long enough to know this is a swap that is not worth it. Keep on the lookout for a highmileage V8, blown engine V8, blown tranny V8 for cheap, then buy and swap.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I agree, you are better off finding a cheap cam failed G3 SHo and then do the swap.

If not the AC is different too.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Pats, and the fact that the VSS comes from the ABS computer, which happens to be a sho specific part...

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Whatever you do with the motor, make sure the cams are welded.
[/b]
:werd:

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Differences:
- fuel pump
- ABS controller
- PS system (ZF rack requires a higher flowing pump; you will probably damage your SLO rack by using the high-flow SHO pump)
- ECU
- Wiring harness

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
id say go for it man, if you have the patience and willpower, you could make it be a pretty sweet swap, and have it be more of a sleeper then the SHO already is, just keep the GL or LX or whatever badge on the back, and people wont know what the hell hit them! :thumb:

and if your feeling even more adventurous, add a 3rd (or 4th if u count the ebrake) pedal down there! now that would be awesome!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts