Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine has a clean bill of health! :D They even suggest to run the oil change interval longer.

Click:

·
Registered
285 Posts
How much did it cost?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Awesome! That is a great test. Low wear numbers. Please go over to the "Bob is the Oil Guy" website and post it there with all the others.

*They will send you the kits for free. Testing costs money. TBN test costs extra. Blackstone is probably the most used but there are others.

**They will flag what they think is an issue. You are looking for wear and mechanical issues that will show up in the analysis like coolant leaks, fuel dilution, leaky air filter etc.... You look for differences in what your test shows compared to the unit averages of other people's UOA's for the same vehicle/engine. (Except for additives in the oil which are towards the bottom and are different because of oil formulations. These would be Calcium thru Zinc ) This lets you find an oil that works good for you and your vehicle and allows you to extend you oil change interval.

***If you want to see many more (UOA's) Used Oil Analysis reports check out the website "Bob is the Oil Guy". They have a large number of reports for all kinds of vehicles, oils and mileages used.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Does this engine not require 5W20? Pennzoil Platinum is good stuff. I run the 5W20 PP in my 2004 Duratec for 8,000 mile oil changes. Performs great.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Does this engine not require 5W20? Pennzoil Platinum is good stuff. I run the 5W20 PP in my 2004 Duratec for 8,000 mile oil changes. Performs great.
[/b]
Ford originally spec'd 5W-30 for the Duratec, then changed it to 5W-20 to achieve better mileage ratings. I never ran 5W-20 in my Sable or my Taurus. Both got 5W-30 Mobil 1 every 6,000 miles. My wife's Mazda 3 (2.3L) spec's 5W-20, but that gets 5W-30. My Mustang GT spec's 5W-20, but when it needs a change, it'll get 5W-30. I just think 5W-20 is too light of an oil.

JR

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not required.......recommended 5w-20 as stated earlier to squeeze a little mpg out for CAFE standards.

5w-30 is no problem.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Not required.......recommended 5w-20 as stated earlier to squeeze a little mpg out for CAFE standards.

5w-30 is no problem.
[/b]
Way to quote my post completely, without actually quoting it. I think we need a poll to determine just how people feel about using 5W-30 in their engines when the oil cap clearly states 5W-20. You should get on that.

JR

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I just ordered a kit to test the oil on the "new" Vulcanator in the bucket mobile. Kinda funny, I've only put roughly 1900 miles on it since doing the installation in October. Still, I have no idea of the original mileage of this engine. I was told it had roughly 9,000 on it when it was removed from the original vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

5w-30 is no problem.
[/b]
Way to quote my post completely, without actually quoting it. I think we need a poll to determine just how people feel about using 5W-30 in their engines when the oil cap clearly states 5W-20. You should get on that.

JR
[/b][/quote]

.................................. :rofl2:

·
Registered
453 Posts

JR
[/b]
Just backin' up what you said brother.............. :thumb:

P.S: I love polls. Many do not I think.............. :(

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They sent me a PDF by email. I don't think they send out hardcopies anymore (they used to). I had an analysis done on my Sable a couple years ago and I received three oil analysis containers with the request.

Also, when I take it to the post office it gets its own box and a massive label saying it's hazardous material.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
What is the mpg difference between 5W-20 and 5W-30?
[/b]
Negligible. At most, a couple of tenths of MPG. The idea is that if you get a couple tenths from each car, spread that out to 100k cars, you've got some actual savings that can help you for CAFE.

The first round of oil I had in my SES Sport was 5W-20, and I averaged 21 MPG in mixed driving. The next oil change it got 5W-30 Mobil 1, and I averaged 21 MPG in mixed driving.

With 5W-30 Mobil 1, I did get 29 MPG on the highway down to North Carolina, though.

JR

1 - 20 of 21 Posts