Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search first in here about this problem but couldnt find anything...
My boss has a 96 Explorer Limited w/ ~70K mi, 4.0L V6 OHV, and the back two Power window buttons on the driver door are sinking down into the door. Any ideas how this can be fixed w/out using the stealership? Can i get the parts at Auto Zone or advanced auto parts or napa? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I believe the switches are on a small rocker pin. The door panel is very easily removable. Just unscrew the two screws by the door handle, and it will just pop off. You may have to pull kinda hard to unclip it, but it will come off. Also, might want to have a few spare clips on hand since they can break. Dealer sells them real cheap too.

Once the panel is off, the problem should be obvious. I have a lock button not working, so I need to take the panel/switch off and pray it's just the contacts that are gummed up, and not something more serious. Goto Explorer 4X4 and ask the guys there.

Us Explorer guys stick together.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Yeah, I was gonna say the door panels are incredibly easy to take off, but Majisto beat me to it
I remember when our driver side window would get stuck all the way down and the only way to get it out was to open the door up and "help" the window up (it got fixed...i dont know how.) I got really good at it, and could take the door apart within 5 minutes. That took talent.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, you saved me a phone call to Ford. Ill stop by and pick up these "clips."

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Explorers rock! For the most part, they are very easy to work on, especially if you have 2-wheel drive. Of course, being a Ford truck, you won't need to be turning that wrench very often anyway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Majisto, or anybody else who may know...

I've got a bit of a problem. My team is redoing our 2002 Explorer's interior in black (read dying/staining), but it's not going to be too pretty. The first year a black interior was available for the current generation of Explorers was 2003. So, I need to find a place where I can jack a couple of black seats (the rear two, we bought new front seats) and assorted interior parts. Going through Ford would cost us a couple thou. Would any Explorer guys know where to find a wrecked 2003? Granted it is relatively new, but there's gotta be something out there. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
They didn't offer a black interior in 2002? Hmm...I don't know much about the Third Generation Explorers. What trim level is it, and does it have the third row seating? Because I think if it does, you have buckets seats for the middle row, right?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, I'm 90% sure the first year the charcoal interior was offered was 2003.

We've got a 2002 XLT with the third row, and yes, with buckets for the middle. We actually just ran into a problem and we need to scavange an ENTIRE interior... well, at least the cloth parts. Some bright guy on our team used vinyl dye for all the fabric. It feels... crunchy to say the least. -- it's quite ruined. The headliner, the visors, the carpet, the fabric on the sides of the seats... ruined. The dealer may be our last resort, but if anybody can find a wrecked 2003 Explorer, that'd be awesome, or any other information to point us in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by beefstu01@Apr 11 2004, 03:57 AM
Yeah, I'm 90% sure the first year the charcoal interior was offered was 2003.

We've got a 2002 XLT with the third row, and yes, with buckets for the middle. We actually just ran into a problem and we need to scavange an ENTIRE interior... well, at least the cloth parts. Some bright guy on our team used vinyl dye for all the fabric. It feels... crunchy to say the least. -- it's quite ruined. The headliner, the visors, the carpet, the fabric on the sides of the seats... ruined. The dealer may be our last resort, but if anybody can find a wrecked 2003 Explorer, that'd be awesome, or any other information to point us in the right direction.
I have seen a few wrecked 3rd Gens on Explorer4X4's website before that were for sale at auctions. State auctions will be your best bet most likely if the local scrap yard doesn't have anything useful. Go ask on Explorer 4X4.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by XLSuruaT@Apr 10 2004, 10:34 AM
beefstu01, try www.copartfinder.com, www.car-parts.com, or www.junkyarddog.com

Nick, put some led's in the switches while your at it earn extra points with the boss
I'm already back from Atlanta. Maybe next trip. Damn Ford place closed on me so i never got the clips. I did clean the explorer for like 2 hours inside and called it a day. Ill get some pics next trip, it was awful. I tried to look into the door area, but when i pulled on the handle part of the window area cracked in 2 places (oops) so ...oh well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts