Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past thursday I went to get my paycheck, cash it, get gas then go to work. Well after I got done cashing my check, I hoped in my car and went to leave. Only the car wouldnt start, it was cranking over normally but it just wouldnt fire. I let the car sit bout 10-15 min and tried again, yet nothing. So I popped the hood and pulled the wire off the coil, there was some corosin, I cleaned it with a wire brush thinking that would fix it. I got back in and tried again. Nothing, I got back out pressed down on all the wires on the coil and the distrubutor cap. That seemed to work, cause it fired right up. I drove down to the gas station, filled up and went to leave...again it wouldnt fire up. I tried the same stuff I did at the bank, nothing worked. Since I was a mile from work I walked. After work I went back to my car, tried to start it got nothing. After some fiddling around it fired up and I was able to drive home. Good thing to, I live 16 miles from my work. The next day I left for work had no problems. Today I did some running around and had no problems. I went to an auto parts store and had them put a code scanner, found nothing. The check engine light has never come on, Im at a loss for what caused the problem Thursday, I dont want to go through that crap again that's for sure. If anyone has an idea please let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
if it only does it when it is hot i would look into the coolant temp sensor. alot of times the car will not start untill the engine has cooled down with a bad temp sensor. otherwise what was the last tune up done? plugs, wires, etc.?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if it only does it when it is hot i would look into the coolant temp sensor. alot of times the car will not start untill the engine has cooled down with a bad temp sensor. otherwise what was the last tune up done? plugs, wires, etc.?
it could be the coolant temp sensor, but it doesnt run hot at all. im not sure when the plugs and wires have been replaced, ive only owned the car a couple of days. I know that its recently had the fuel filter, air filter and serpitine belt replaced. and its had a recent oil change. I may change the temp sensor, plugs and wires next weekend and see if that helps. one thing i like about this car, it has over 100,000 yet the engine compartment is clean. not only that but the underside is clean too, no rust, the bushings and stuff look like new still. you wouldnt belive that it has that many miles on it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Had a problem like this once on a Tempo. It ended up being the fuel pump going bad. It would crank, I could drive it where I was going, then it would try to turn over but nothing. Kept happening intermittently over a several month period, until I had changed everything else out, leaving only that.

If there's a way you can check the fuel pressure when it's not starting, might help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had a problem like this once on a Tempo. It ended up being the fuel pump going bad. It would crank, I could drive it where I was going, then it would try to turn over but nothing. Kept happening intermittently over a several month period, until I had changed everything else out, leaving only that.

If there's a way you can check the fuel pressure when it's not starting, might help.
The most "stressful" part of a fuel pumps function is starting the vehicle. x-D :-o

·
Registered
81 Posts
Same thing happened to me ... replaced fuel pump but no change.
Noticed that the car started when I hit the top of the relay control module (box under the front plastic cover near battery). Replacing the module fixed problem. Turned out to be a bad solder joint holding the fuel relay inside control module.

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
93 is EEC IV / TFI. TFI module (ignition module) on outside of dist and the PIP inside the dist are well known failure items in all EEC IV Fords. SOme fail when hot, some fail when cold, some are intermittant. These intermittant failures sometimes set CM codes, and sometimes dont. The TFI harness connector and TFI to PIP connection are also known to suffer from intermittant connections.

As noted above, intermittants in the IRCM/CCRM are also problem areas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem. Starts find in the morning. Later in the day it will not start. It cranks but will not start. Nocodes. Replaced fuel pump relay..no help. in the morning I can here the fuel pump engaging in the afternoon I do not hear it. My troubleshooting is leading to the fuel pump. In the afternoon the back end of the car sets in the sun which may be causing the resistor in the pump to malfunction. I am going to first change the fuel filter and see what happens but I think I am going to have to replace the pump. Ca

These new cars with all the gadgets are a pain. Give me back the engine I could work on with a few sockets and wrenches

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar issue with my '95 Sable 3.8L. Most of the time it starts with no trouble, but other times it will just crank and not start. It is very intermittent, it doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold, if it's night or day, or if the weather's clear or rainy. Usually when it happens, I have to let it sit for a few minutes and then it will start with no problem. A few times though I had to let it sit for several hours before it would start. Once started, the engine runs fine with no hesitation or loss of power.
Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
I have a similar issue with my '95 Sable 3.8L. Most of the time it starts with no trouble, but other times it will just crank and not start. It is very intermittent, it doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold, if it's night or day, or if the weather's clear or rainy. Usually when it happens, I have to let it sit for a few minutes and then it will start with no problem. A few times though I had to let it sit for several hours before it would start. Once started, the engine runs fine with no hesitation or loss of power.
Any ideas??
Run CM codes, looking for intermittant IDM failure or PIP failure. Check fuel pressure when you have a no start.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
My Money is on the TFI module. Seen this a few times, the one's I've seen fail when they got hot. Let it cool down for a while, the engine would fire right up. Then would die once it heated up again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts