Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past week or so whenever i am on the interstate goin between 60 and 70mph if i take my foot off the gas and let it coast for even a second my rpm drops from around 2500 to 2000, my speed starts decreasing quickly and it sounds like the engine bogs down. It only does this when i'm on the interstate doin between 60 & 70. 55 and slower it never does it. Now i did just find out that my alternator isn't charging as much as it should(i don't know if that has anything to do with it or not). Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
i think it is normal my 99 wagon ohv does the same thing but not that bad.... all most to me sounds like the transmission is not shifting right but i am probably wrong

·
Registered
671 Posts
But it shouldn't be downshifting at 2.5k RPM, unless he drops the pedal. That also seems high for 60-70 mph. I don't know what my car runs at doing 70 mph, I don't pay attention to the few things it does right. I'll play with it a bit on the highway & get back to you.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yeah, I was doing 75 mph at just under 2.5k RPM, and letting off the gas doesn't slow the car much. Your engine might be low on power (tune-up time?).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts