Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I recently got a new Sony CDX-M8800 HU.
See: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7205 for pics and info.

Now I want to upgrade all 4 factory speakers in my '03 SES so I can get some good sound out of the new HU. The HU is supposedly 52X4 watts, which really means nothing to me. Does that mean 52 watts to 4 speakers? If so, does that mean my new speakers need to be at least 52 watters? If not, how many watts should my new speakers be? According to crutchfield, I can use 2 6x8's in the front, and 2 6x8's in the rear. So I was going to get 4 of the same speaker for the car. Is this a good idea? I might also decide to get an amp eventually. Will a 2-channel amp allow me to add a sub later without getting a separate amp? And what brands should i look for and stay away from? I am not looking for top quality, but something midrange would be nice. Sorry for the newbish questions, but i am a complete newb to car audio. Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
The HU is supposedly 52X4 watts, which really means nothing to me. Does that mean 52 watts to 4 speakers? If so, does that mean my new speakers need to be at least 52 watters?
No, that means the maximum output of that HU is 52w per channel for 4 channels. It's RMS (root mean square - basically the average) output rating is probably closer to 19-24w. Any set of aftermarket speakers will work with this amount of power, but if you plan on adding a 4 channel amp down the road to give these speakers a nice kick in the pants, get a set that has a higher RMS Power Rating - then try to match an amp to that.

Now I want to upgrade all 4 factory speakers in my '03 SES so I can get some good sound out of the new HU.  If not, how many watts should my new speakers be?
See above.

According to crutchfield, I can use 2 6x8's in the front, and 2 6x8's in the rear. So I was going to get 4 of the same speaker for the car.
Yes, these will work. I recommend using them, especially if this is your first install.

I might also decide to get an amp eventually.
An amp will really bring your speakers to life, I recommend using an aftermarket amp for them eventually.

Will a 2-channel amp allow me to add a sub later without getting a separate amp? And what brands should i look for and stay away from? I am not looking for top quality, but something midrange would be nice.
Check out Alpine Type-R subs. They seem to have decent sound quality for the price. There are, however, many options out there at all price levels.

The only brand I would recommend to stay away from is Sony...but for some those are great and the price is right. It's all in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. Go to a local audio shop and listen to some speakers and subs. If you do, make sure to ask them to use the HU only for power and use the same HU for each set and keep all the eq settings flat.

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
A good way to decide what wattage speakers to use is take the wattage number that your deck/amp can produce. if it says 200watts on it, take that number and multiply it my .70, then the result of that multiply by .70 again, in your case its about 25watts useable RMS power per channel. In your case I would stick with a set of speakers that are around 25-30watts rms, I wouldn't go with "any set of aftermarket speakers" because you will be dissapointed that they don't function as well as you want them to. Many after markets are around the 25-30watts range in the entry-mid product lines I think. Don't go with top of the lines unless you are going to get an amp now. Otherwise your just going to be pissed that they don't sound the way you thought they would for the price you payed..

Good luck

·
Registered
292 Posts
too bad nobody rates power rating the same in the mobile audio industry...
unlike home audio there is nobody that says that the power ratings are to be drawn from a regulated set of tests.
Hence the reason why you can get a 1200watt amp for 86 bucks at walmart and I have a couple HCCAs rated at about 20per channel that retailed at over 1000

do what sounds best to you, most factory speakers will sound just fine off an aftermarket head unit. The effciency of the speaker will be the thing that really brings out the sound. A speaker that will play at its best at 10 watts will 9 times out of 10 sound better of an aftermarket head unit than a set of components that will handle 27,000 watts...
YOUR ears are the best giude, well and Crutchfield to make sure they fit(worked there for 10 yrs and did a lot of the research in the cars to take measurements)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts