·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hmmm , a minivan.
It seems a groing number of members are getting minivans as of late.

Maybe we should start a new chapter of the club. TCCA minivan division.

Has anyone ever seen a riced out minivan??
I wonder if you can get alteezas for one?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Hey don't flame the mINivaN, ...now I don't own one, but I HAVE seen a few awesome looking Windstars here in Houston. Besides it IS a TAURUS.......just with a little more head room.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Minivans are cool if you have kids. It really helps moving them around with all of their stuff. Congrats!

On another note, that avitar is nasty.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Wow, 128k miles is REALLY high. But you got the cornering lights. I love those! Our van doesn't have them, by my Sable does and it's awesome when I make a turn at night. I like the wheels. We got the 11 spoked wheels and IMO, they look retarded. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Heh - I have a 1995 Ford Aerostar with 283,000 miles on the clock ($1 and a case of beer). Its great for my fishing gear, hauling around crap and drive in movies -- dont knock minivans, they have their uses :D

Gotta figure out wether it has a Vulcan under the hood, I assume so - I may well be able to do some of the same mods to it I am planning on my Taurus -- thats if it keeps running :D

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Yeah, usually Aerostars come with the Vulcan. I think you can only get a bigger motor on the AWD models.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Thats not true, you could get the 4.0L Ranger engine on a 2WD model. My Dad had an Eddie Bauer van that had that equipped.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
My dad had a 2001 Windstar...I loved that thing.... lost it in a divorce...kinda sad....I am very proud to say that I'm 18 and I want a mini-van!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My brother-in-law works on a fleet of 'Stars, and he has some that have over 200k. I think the key is regular oil and tranny fluid changes.
It's very nice to drive, seems tighter than our Taurus, and it has just as many miles, just not years. We went out tonight looking for safe and sane fireworks, and the side markers help a little bit. It was still a little light out though. Pitch dark conditions will probably show their effect more.
It's got a 3.8l in it. Different intake manifold than our Taurus, and makes 60 more HP. Does anyone know if it's the same basic engine as the 3.8 Essex?
The wheels are neat. They look like they'd be really sharp if they were cleaned inside and out, as they're a very open design.
Since it's an auction vehicle, it does have little quirks. There's a noise coming from the right front when going over bumps (loose brake shield maybe??). The brake light on the dash comes on sometimes when we're at almost a complete stop, then goes off soon after, or when you take off. We got the oil changed today, and I'm going to pump out the ATF through the dipstick, refill with fresh Mercon V, then in about a week or two have it serviced with filter and flush.
We went and checked out an '01 SEL before going to the auction. FULLY loaded, but the ABS light came on as soon as it was started, and the 'O/D off' light started blinking when we hit the freeway (and it wasn't off), along with the message center telling us to "check transmission". To bad, as that was one nice van. The power doors are a trip.

<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("fordaspiregv")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>On another note, that avitar is nasty.[/b][/quote]

Hehe, Mr. Bean's my idol. :)

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Originally posted by Jeckler@Jul 5 2004, 12:43 AM
My brother-in-law works on a fleet of 'Stars, and he has some that have over 200k. I think the key is regular oil and tranny fluid changes.
It's very nice to drive, seems tighter than our Taurus, and it has just as many miles, just not years. We went out tonight looking for safe and sane fireworks, and the side markers help a little bit. It was still a little light out though. Pitch dark conditions will probably show their effect more.
It's got a 3.8l in it. Different intake manifold than our Taurus, and makes 60 more HP. Does anyone know if it's the same basic engine as the 3.8 Essex?
The wheels are neat. They look like they'd be really sharp if they were cleaned inside and out, as they're a very open design.
Since it's an auction vehicle, it does have little quirks. There's a noise coming from the right front when going over bumps (loose brake shield maybe??). The brake light on the dash comes on sometimes when we're at almost a complete stop, then goes off soon after, or when you take off. We got the oil changed today, and I'm going to pump out the ATF through the dipstick, refill with fresh Mercon V, then in about a week or two have it serviced with filter and flush.
We went and checked out an '01 SEL before going to the auction. FULLY loaded, but the ABS light came on as soon as it was started, and the 'O/D off' light started blinking when we hit the freeway (and it wasn't off), along with the message center telling us to "check transmission". To bad, as that was one nice van. The power doors are a trip.

<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("fordaspiregv")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>On another note, that avitar is nasty.
Hehe, Mr. Bean's my idol. :) [/b][/quote]
Yes, the first generation of windstars (aside from the same year, which used the exact same engine as the 3.8L Taurus) used the same 3.8l block for FWD cars. The only major difference is the split port induction system that as you said, adds another 60hp by allowing the motor to breathe much better in the higher RPM's.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The brake light coming on at a stop and going off when you go is because there's something wrong with the brake system. It's probably low on fluid or something. It's a b***h to refill the brake reserviour w/o a funnel since the cowl covers half the engine.

X

·
0 Posts
The 99+ 3.8 has a split port design. I think ford even got an award for it.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
128k on an 01 :blink: Hope you got a good deal :)

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I'll take a Mini Van over a Swollen Utility Van ANYDAY. (SUV)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts