Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on friday my wife and i loaded up the car and headed on are weekend trip and when we where 3/4 of the way to are location we noticed a skip at ideal. i noticed a lot of moisture coming out of the exhaust we got back from the trip and looked for the cause i found a rip in my pcv valve hose so we replaced it and was hoping for it would fix it. well it did not today i took it to advanced auto parts for code reading came back cyl 2 misfire detected i have changed plugs, wire's, coil, still no change a friend of mine said it could be a head gasket but there is no white smoke i am running water right now due to i was in a pinch due to water pump seeps so that is why i put water in it.
so im thinking that is why there is not white smoke so please help

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
compression on all cylinders where running about 150 pounds but 2 cyl are running 120 pounds witch are cylinders 2 & 5 cylinder 2's plug was white i was thinking it was being washed with coolant but know i am thinking that it is a bad fuel injector or plug what i am going to try is wait till the check engine light comes back on and do a code reading and see if the code is reading 4th cylinder misfire due to i changed plugs from 2 and 4 cyl .... i hope that makes sense too it is like i am chasing a ghost some ideas would be nice

·
Registered
671 Posts
If there's only water in your system, then you shouldn't smell antifreeze. I'd flush that and add some coolant, though. It has better cooling properties.

A white plug can either be too hot, or preignition. But can be the result of a lean mixture, so you're right to think injector. Run some STP fuel system cleaner, or lucasoil upper cylinder lubricant. Also, check for more vac leaks. If one hose went bad, the others might not be far behind. I don't know about the '00 models, but '99 and down vulcans were susceptible to UIM gasket leaks that would cause all sorts of nasty things. I know '01 has a rubber-ring style gasket, which should hold a seal.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Palach @ Jun 2 2010, 05:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808797
If there's only water in your system, then you shouldn't smell antifreeze. I'd flush that and add some coolant, though. It has better cooling properties.

A white plug can either be too hot, or preignition. But can be the result of a lean mixture, so you're right to think injector. Run some STP fuel system cleaner, or lucasoil upper cylinder lubricant. Also, check for more vac leaks. If one hose went bad, the others might not be far behind. I don't know about the '00 models, but '99 and down vulcans were susceptible to UIM gasket leaks that would cause all sorts of nasty things. I know '01 has a rubber-ring style gasket, which should hold a seal.[/b]

true i am waiting to see if got a dead plug and if i do it should move from cyl 2 to 4 and if it does not i will change the injector out but yes i should try a good injector cleaner first cheaper then spending 60.00 for the injector and the gasket for the plenum

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok i had my check engine light come on again and got a reading and it still came up cyl 2 misfire so it was not the plug i put a bottle of lucas fuel injector cleaner in it lets try this

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
What plugs and wires are you using? If you are using Bosch plugs they are known to misfire. Change them to Motorcraft or Autolites and make sure they are gapped correctly.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Jun 4 2010, 01:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809199
What plugs and wires are you using? If you are using Bosch plugs they are known to misfire. Change them to Motorcraft or Autolites and make sure they are gapped correctly.[/b]

i am using autolites for wires and plugs i do not trust / like bosh

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (hydetherat @ Jun 3 2010, 07:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808963

A white plug can either be too hot, or preignition. But can be the result of a lean mixture, so you're right to think injector. Run some STP fuel system cleaner, or lucasoil upper cylinder lubricant. Also, check for more vac leaks. If one hose went bad, the others might not be far behind. I don't know about the '00 models, but '99 and down vulcans were susceptible to UIM gasket leaks that would cause all sorts of nasty things. I know '01 has a rubber-ring style gasket, which should hold a seal.[/b]

true i am waiting to see if got a dead plug and if i do it should move from cyl 2 to 4 and if it does not i will change the injector out but yes i should try a good injector cleaner first cheaper then spending 60.00 for the injector and the gasket for the plenum
[/b][/quote]

You can use Sea Foam in the throttle body, gas tank and oil. Follow the instructions on the can though. You don't want to drive with it in the oil too long...just for a lil bit right before an oil change.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Jun 4 2010, 12:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809305
QUOTE (hydetherat @ Jun 3 2010, 07:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808963

[/b][/quote]

You can use Sea Foam in the throttle body, gas tank and oil. Follow the instructions on the can though. You don't want to drive with it in the oil too long...just for a lil bit right before an oil change.
[/b][/quote]

k thanks ill try it

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
You can also try replacing the fuel filter. And someone else on this board said replacing the fuel pump helped him.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no change check engine light back on got a new plug wire for cyl 2 and no change what it looks like change injector on cyl 2 and cross my fingers

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same problem on the same cylinder on a 2002 OHV Taurus SE and have also changed spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, NOT the coil since i checked the primary and secondary resistances and they were perfect. changing the PCV valve tomorrow and hope to try to keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the same problem on the same cylinder on a 2002 OHV Taurus SE and have also changed spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, NOT the coil since i checked the primary and secondary resistances and they were perfect. changing the PCV valve tomorrow and hope to try to keep everyone updated.

i have come down to only one thing bad head gasket i changed the fuel filter and the injector i am having the code come up that i have a bad o2 sensor on bank 1 & 2 i will try a o2 sensor tomorrow

1 - 15 of 15 Posts