Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the feeling that the bigger counterweights on the supercoupe crank I installed are touching the pickup tube support - even though I thought for sure I bent that far enought out of the way.

That intermittent Tick tick tick slight knock noise just came out of nowhere like a month ago **RIGHT AFTER** driving through this flooded low street near my house.
I pulled off the blower and checked all the rockers, i even started it with the blower unhooked to be sure and the noise was still there.

I'm not exactly sure what rod knock sounds like, i'll look into grabbing a sample of that sound in mp3 format if needed.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Craig, do you hear the noise when under moderate to heavy load (on the gas hard, or going up a hill), or under light load (light to moderate acceleration, or accelerating down a grade or incline)? The latter is what I'm experiencing, which in my case is rod knock.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its only audible at idle, any other time u woulnt know there was a problem. Its not down on power in the least, matter of fact just last night i did another insane burnout without so much a breaking a sweat. ???

I changed the oil twice the week after it started and it didnt look any different that normal, and it didnt make any difference as far as stopping the noise was concerned.

Oil level is fine, its not the lifters tapping. i'm out of ideas :-\

I'd rather not deal with trying to drop the oilpan through the subframe (if thats even possible)....its freaking COLD here in IL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts