Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the sticker with the tire pressures listing is missing off of my car and I haven't much of a clue as to what they should be inflated to (I still remember what the old saturn needed but that doesn't help unless I want to steal it back- haha).

I only ask this because I am going on a trip from Cleveland to Philly and Jersey City this weekend and want to be sure everything is happy happy on the car.

Got the oil changed (would have done it myself but the boyfriend insisted... something about him being a mechanic and all...) checked/changed other fluids, blew out the little bit of dust from the air filter; this is the only thing left. It's a bigger deal with the gas prices and my soon to be 7 month old in the back seat and all.

Thanks so much for the info in advance and hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!!!!

Tina

my car- 01 Taurus SE in silver/ my gray ghost!

·
Registered
318 Posts
32 PSI ought to be good.
Isn't there a sticker on the passenger side rear door jamb?
For what it's worth, I pump mine up to 35 PSI when I head out on a trip. It rides a little harder, but the gas mileage is a bit better.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Sablewagon@May 27 2004, 12:22 PM
32 PSI ought to be good. 
Isn't there a sticker on the passenger side rear door jamb? 
For what it's worth, I pump mine up to 35 PSI when I head out on a trip. It rides a little harder, but the gas mileage is a bit better.
I have to agree with what Sablewagon said. I have filled mine to 35 before long trips (12 hours or so one way) and have noticed a positive difference (ride and MPG)

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Good advice.

I wouldn't however fill them up to 35psi if you are going to be driving through inclement weather. Keeping tires at 30-32psi will give you more surface area, and lessen the chance of hydroplaning.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Troper8@May 27 2004, 02:19 PM
Good advice.

I wouldn't however fill them up to 35psi if you are going to be driving through inclement weather. Keeping tires at 30-32psi will give you more surface area, and lessen the chance of hydroplaning.
Very true.

BTW, shouldn't this be in the maintenance and repair forum versus Taurus & Sable Discussion?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
check the inflation rating on the tire sidewall.

I personally inflate mine to about 38 psi. It gets better fuel economy and better (ie, stiffer) handling, but at the cost of traction.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Originally posted by hightecredneck+May 27 2004, 12:41 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hightecredneck @ May 27 2004, 12:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Troper8@May 27 2004, 02:19 PM
Good advice.

Very true.

BTW, shouldn't this be in the maintenance and repair forum versus Taurus & Sable Discussion? [/b][/quote]
Good point....woooosh off it goes....

·
Registered
111 Posts
35+PSI??? Ill have to consult my Sales Information Guides, but I never have more then 30 PSI cold in my tires, because of what I read in one of the updates I got. Its my understanding that overinflation when cold will lead to sever overinflation when hot which = BAD if you hit a pothole (BOOM!) and lead to REDUCED handleing, cuz you will have less rubber on the pavement and a more narrow and shorter contact patch.
I guess which gen would be important too.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I have BFG T/A's so consulting the owners manual will do no good. Their suggestions are for their tires, not aftermarket ones. I check my tires quite often, and adjust for pressure changes due to temperature.

The secret to not loosing control when hitting a pothole, is to NOT HIT THE POTHOLE.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Best place to look, and this is where Ford puts it on the Taurus (I know I've looked there many times while working) is on the backside of the gas cap door....

that is where the inflation guide is

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by firstgen87l@May 27 2004, 03:53 PM
Best place to look, and this is where Ford puts it on the Taurus (I know I've looked there many times while working) is on the backside of the gas cap door....

that is where the inflation guide is
The Key word here is "Ford"

Mercury didn't do this on Gen3 vehicles, not sure about other gens but my gen3 Sable doesn't have it. So do all Gens1-4 Taurus have this on the inside of the gas tank door?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
My sticker is on the rear passenger door jamb near the wheel well. On the inside of the gas door, I have a sticker that says "Unleaded Fuel Only". My sticker recommends 35 PSI for all 4 wheels. But you know those cheap $1 tire guages are off by a few PSIs so it's safe to pump it upto 35 using the cheap guages.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I guess that I should have clairified myself, Gen IV's have them there

all the rest should be on the pass rear door jamb, or......... on the drivers side VIN sticker.... that's where I get all the inflation #'s for some cars and light trucks

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
I ride at 35PSI with no abnormal wear issues.
And pothole avoidance is a prerequisite for obtaining a license in the NYC metro area. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts