Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
It made me sad at work... :(

I went to activate a cable box at work, and it instantly turned on to ABC News, and that just came on... Like it had to tell me something.

A moment of silence for the brand was had, but I knew it was only a matter of time, climbing the "ladder" of vehicles doesn't exist anymore, probably did back in the days, but not anymore. I know I have my hopes on getting into a Lincoln one day, not a Mercury. But I would still, any day of the week, take a Marauder or Grand Marquis. Both beautiful Mercury vehicles to exist.

Guess people won't be putting Mercury on their lists anymore.

RIP Mercury.

·
Registered
245 Posts
oh dear sweet god... the end is near...

what will this mean for Ford? is it still to be ford and lincoln?

i wonder if my sable will have any value now?

Shady_J :ford:

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
i guess i cant say i didnt see it coming but it does make me sad there are alot of models where i prefer the Mercury over the Ford counterpart.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
For resale value, consider Oldsmobiles. Consider Oldsmobile's values then that should be Mercury one day. However, if you held on to your Mercury for awhile, in very great shape, it MAYBE would increase in value :p

But, if it is in poor shape, probably not:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Edsel-villa...5fCarsQ5fTrucks

I wish I had welding and body repairing skills, I'd so buy this Edsel up and fix it up.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Watch Lincoln get watered down to compensate.

·
Registered
870 Posts
What Ford needs to do is is give Mercury it's own identity, not just rebadged Fords. Like they did with the new Taurus, there is no Mercury counterpart. They need to come out with a line of Mercury vehicles with legendary Mercury nameplates, and offer more of a variety with a new flagship sedan, as foreign auto makers such as Nissan offer with their Altima. You have a choice of a sedan or a sporty coupe. Bring back the Cougar as a new flagship sedan and offer a sporty coupe similar to the last generation of the Cougar. If it's worked for them, why can't it work for Detroit!

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
QUOTE (Taurus3254JA @ May 29 2010, 01:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807667
What Ford needs to do is is give Mercury it's own identity, not just rebadged Fords. Like they did with the new Taurus, there is no Mercury counterpart. They need to come out with a line of Mercury vehicles with legendary Mercury nameplates, and offer more of a variety with a new flagship sedan, as foreign auto makers such as Nissan offer with their Altima. You have a choice of a sedan or a sporty coupe. Bring back the Cougar as a new flagship sedan and offer a sporty coupe similar to the last generation of the Cougar. If it's worked for them, why can't it work for Detroit![/b]
Well, because a lot of buyers still seem to apply a double-standard when looking at 'Detroit 3' cars... Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury could never all work under the same portfolio in many people's minds, yet ToMoCo has three brands (Toyota, Lexus, Scion...WTF has that one accomplished?), and nobody says boo. Nissan has way too much diversification on their G35-based platform, but Ford's D4 chassis is too widely used and is terrible for a CUV Explorer (Murano, FX, G35, 370Z... you probably get the picture). Infiniti has a frickin' hideous lineup these days (Seen the new QX yet? :eek:), but the new 'bow-wave grille' Lincolns are all ugly, scary whale-things.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
QUOTE (Brian_05_SEL @ May 29 2010, 04:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807698
What Ford needs to do is is give Mercury it's own identity, not just rebadged Fords. Like they did with the new Taurus, there is no Mercury counterpart. They need to come out with a line of Mercury vehicles with legendary Mercury nameplates, and offer more of a variety with a new flagship sedan, as foreign auto makers such as Nissan offer with their Altima. You have a choice of a sedan or a sporty coupe. Bring back the Cougar as a new flagship sedan and offer a sporty coupe similar to the last generation of the Cougar. If it's worked for them, why can't it work for Detroit![/b]
Well, because a lot of buyers still seem to apply a double-standard when looking at 'Detroit 3' cars... Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury could never all work under the same portfolio in many people's minds, yet ToMoCo has three brands (Toyota, Lexus, Scion...WTF has that one accomplished?), and nobody says boo. Nissan has way too much diversification on their G35-based platform, but Ford's D4 chassis is too widely used and is terrible for a CUV Explorer (Murano, FX, G35, 370Z... you probably get the picture). Infiniti has a frickin' hideous lineup these days (Seen the new QX yet? :eek:), but the new 'bow-wave grille' Lincolns are all ugly, scary whale-things.
[/b][/quote]

If Ford wanted to keep Mercury, they should have continued to push imported Fords through the brand to create a separate identity for Mercury. But Ford didn't, and the brand is meaningless to buyers.

Lincoln should move more upmarket to keep on par with Lexus, Mercedes, BMW.

And BTW - those "ugly, scary whale-thing" MKTs are selling like hot cakes where I live. I thought the styling was too controversial to be effective, but I see them everywhere. More popular than the MKS.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Question, I have been out of the loop, but does Lincoln still offer air ride suspension?

·
Registered
833 Posts
QUOTE (TaurusKev @ May 29 2010, 09:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807764
Question, I have been out of the loop, but does Lincoln still offer air ride suspension?[/b]
Town Car, Navigator iirc are still using it.

I was hoping Ford would rerelease a version of the Cougar like it was back in the day, like they finally did with the Mustang in 2005 after ruining for over 25 years (relax foxbody fans, it's my opinion that the Mustang has been hideous for so many years).

I was really hoping for a new Trans Am too, until of course the news that Pontiac was done...

·
Registered
524 Posts
My parents own a 1996 Mercury Villager. I learned to drive in that car. I love it, it's been good to us. This is sad news, but the drop in cars sold from the high peak to last year was shocking.

Also heard about Pontiac, but didn't know about Saturn.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
QUOTE (spridget @ May 29 2010, 08:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807735
QUOTE (Brian_05_SEL @ May 29 2010, 04:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807698
[/b][/quote]

If Ford wanted to keep Mercury, they should have continued to push imported Fords through the brand to create a separate identity for Mercury. But Ford didn't, and the brand is meaningless to buyers.

Lincoln should move more upmarket to keep on par with Lexus, Mercedes, BMW.

And BTW - those "ugly, scary whale-thing" MKTs are selling like hot cakes where I live. I thought the styling was too controversial to be effective, but I see them everywhere. More popular than the MKS.
[/b][/quote]

I'll admit they aren't my single most favorite vehicle, but I would totally drive one. At first I didn't like it (but not enough to call it obscene names) but it's grown on me. They're almost as popular as the Flex around me.

And they're amazing inside. They have loads of wonderful features too. But that's not what this thread is about.

I'll miss Mercury definitely, but I don't think it will be a total loss. I mean look at the numbers, it will for sure put Ford in a better position.

·
Registered
107 Posts
QUOTE (03FordTaurus @ Jun 1 2010, 01:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808291
My parents own a 1996 Mercury Villager. I learned to drive in that car. I love it, it's been good to us. This is sad news, but the drop in cars sold from the high peak to last year was shocking.

Also heard about Pontiac, but didn't know about Saturn.[/b]
Lulz the Mercury Villager was just a Nissan...

Anyways, Mercury has no place anymore. With the advancement of technology in recent years, there is little difference between Ford and Mercury. The real luxury lies in Lincoln. Smart move by Ford.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts