Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my wife's 04 flex fuel (3.0 vulcan) bull 's water pump is leaking out the weep hole again. I did the first one 8 years ago and
Replaced with o oreillys best one with lifetime warranty.Then 4 years ago it leaked and they have me a free one. This past week I did the oil pan gasket, and what did I see, you guessed it a small leak under the timing cover. I traced it to weep hole. I don't care about a free one if it only last a few years,so the motorcraft pump from Rock auto has a note about the new pump doesn't have holes for idle pulley. They recommend using a stretchy belt? A freaking stretchy belt? Sounds like something I need after a big holiday meal. What the he'll should I do now? Any advise for my problem child will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Hello all, my wife's 04 flex fuel (3.0 vulcan) bull 's water pump is leaking out the weep hole again. I did the first one 8 years ago and
Replaced with o oreillys best one with lifetime warranty.Then 4 years ago it leaked and they have me a free one. This past week I did the oil pan gasket, and what did I see, you guessed it a small leak under the timing cover. I traced it to weep hole. I don't care about a free one if it only last a few years,so the motorcraft pump from Rock auto has a note about the new pump doesn't have holes for idle pulley. They recommend using a stretchy belt? A freaking stretchy belt? Sounds like something I need after a big holiday meal. What the he'll should I do now? Any advise for my problem child will be much appreciated.
Vulcans do not use stretchy belt. Only on DOHC '04-'05. Best recheck your part at RA.
-chart-

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vulcans do not use stretchy belt. Only on DOHC '04-'05. Best recheck your part at RA.
-chart-
I checked part at rock, and on dealer site.Both have that same note about belt, then I checked Amazon and same part # but no mention of belt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Part # is motorcraft pw505, same one on rockauto,Amazon,and oreillys. They note pump does not come with tensioner pulley holes and you need a stretchy belt .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agree with Chartmaker. You either have the wrong info or you have the wrong engine. I had the same issue with waterpumps from the parts store but my replacement leak in a year. I just buy Motorcraft pump now. This is the thread I did about the difference. Motorcraft Water Pump Quality Vs Aftermarket
Info and engine are correct, the note( as stated before your reply) is wrong. I'll pull the pump this weekend and get the motorcraft one I should have gotten first time around. Good thing is Oreillys will take the difference between the Murray pump off the new motorcraft pump.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oreillys has to order the pump,the counter guy says he uses motorcraft on his taurus . He said you know it only has a two year warranty and I tell him it'll probably last longer then the two Murray pumps combined(8 years).He agreed.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I use Gates 43063 pumps in my cars. The newer pumps have only one weep hole. Just replaced the timing cover gasket and put a new pump in the car since it was already out. Did the oil pan gasket too without dropping the exhaust pipes. Use cable ties to hold the gasket in place so I can slide it under the pan and over the top, cable tie and then install the bolts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts