Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had my share of idiots working on my cars and was just wondering whats the best way to find a trustworthy mechanic that wont over price work??? what should i look for?? where are they at?? lol

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
They seem to be rare in my limited experience. The best way is to ask around. You can look for reviews online or the BBB or the AG's office for complaints if you want.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I lucked out, I have a really really close family friend who owns his own garage and he's the only guy that I let touch my cars. He has always given me a discounted price on all parts and labor and also will tell me the honest truth about what needs to be done.

But like the person above me said, check the BBB - that should be a good place to start.

·
Registered
809 Posts
They are hard to find. I second the word of mouth, friends and family usually better choices. I used to take my rides to a head mechanic for a Chrysler dealer who retired to work in his own shop because and I quote " I was tired of the dealership forcing the mechanics to rip people off." So good luck finding one that won't try to squeeze a littl extra cash out of every repair.

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
That's why you learn to DIY. So you don't have to depend on some jerk at some shop.

+1

Learn to do everything yourself. Then you know it is done right using high quality parts you bought yourself. I have owned cars for 39 years and never taken one to a mechanic for anything. I cant begin to imagine how much $$$ I have saved, plus the pride of fixing things myself and knowing the job was done right.

OP... be aware that good and cheap are usually mutually exclusive. A good mechanic who actually knows what they are doing and can diagnose a problem instead of throwing parts at it is getting rare these days. The good ones demand top dollar as they should do.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's why you learn to DIY. So you don't have to depend on some jerk at some shop.
There are just some things that are best left to mechanics / shops. For example, pulling out a tranny and rebuilding it is something I won't take on. Also, cooling system flushes, I'll pay someone to do the work. I have a 2-car garage, tools, jacks, etc. - but, don't want to hassle with trying to dispose of 8 gallons of fluid after the flush. Although, I can take it to my local landfill and have it recycled.

Sensors, oil changes, tranny fluid changes, brakes - I'll do all of that work at home and save lots of money along with being able to get some of the best parts available.

Edit: It truly takes time to find a capable shop. I've lived in my area for 20+ years and have a few places that I trust. I have many more that I don't trust ... such as the one that charges $112.00 an hour in labor (almost more than my dealership) and marks up the price of Motorcraft plugs to $12.00 each! Ouch! :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts