Xmax 1way-11.1mm
efficiency-86.3db
SD-.0491m
RE-3.2
Nominal Imp-Dual4ohm
PowerRMS-500W
Mountdepth-152mm
holediameter-300mm

going with a sealed box. i want the best spl possible.
what should my cuts be on the box?

·
Registered
746 Posts
front plate/rear plate-- 1'-6.75" x 1'-6.75"

top/bottom plate-- 1'-6.75" wide x 1'-.75" tall

side plates-- 1'-.75" x 1'.75"

that yields 2.25 cubes net (before displacement)... only problem is that it is going to have a tendecy to tip over on you if you dont secure it properly... it you want, try this

1'-2 3/4" x 1'-2 3/4" (two of them)
1'-2 3/4" x 1'-5 3/4" (two of them)
1'-5 3/4" x 1'-5 3/4" (two of them)

this one will be a little more stable, but i would still suggest attatching it to something in the trunk.

oh yeah, both boxes are designed to be built with 3/4" MDF or plywood(that is why there is .75" added to each cut). use glue on the seams and make sure you seal the box very well. after you cut the speaker cut out on the front of the box, put a bead of silicon around every internal seam of the box, and let it dry AT LEAST 24 hours, otherwise it can harm your woofer. you will also need to cut a hole in the back or the side of the box to put a terminal box, also seal around this with a heavy bead of silicone. then simply finish the external however you would like, and install the sub.

hope that helps ya man, let me know how it turns out or if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
746 Posts
oh yeah... almost forgot, i dont know what gen you have, so before you build measure the height of your trunk, and make sure that box i designed isnt going to be too tall.

and not to sound mean or anything... but remember the old saying, measure twice, cut once.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a 96 mercury sable.. i guess gen 3
i forgot to mention.
sorry

also, could it be a complete square box???
that way it would be more stable right??
just let me know the cuts i should make in Inches

thanks a mil.

·
Registered
746 Posts
also, could it be a complete square box???[/b]
then just make every panel 16 inches square. the box will be square, and that will net you enough volume.

the most stable box would have the sub angleing back, but that s beeyotch to design and build(angle cuts suck, rarely seal properly).

i dont know the trunk measurements on your car, so just make sure you have 16 inches of clearance, if you dont then change the measurements to fit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how loud and how different will it sound compare to my old box?
i had 2 of these 12's in a q-logic bandpass box.

·
Registered
746 Posts
hard to tell, too many variables. but it should sound much better. gonna be a bigger sealed box, so the response will be the better. and it is not going to be as peaky as the band pass box. those prefab boxes arent really great. should be a noticable diference though.

its obviously not going to be as loud as 2 12's though, since you are only gonna have one. but it should be pretty good, if it is a dvc woofer then you should be able to get more power out of your amp, so that should help get louder.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes it is 4 ohm dvc

also, how should i wire it for best results?
should i wire the dvc's to 1 channel at a 2 ohm load?
or should i wire them to 2 different channels at 4 ohms???

appreciate ur help

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ohh almost forgot..
what do i use to put the box together??
should i use screws or just glue???

i dont want to carpet the box just use a finishing coat.

what about poly-fill inside the box?? should i stuff the box with it or leave out??

·
Registered
746 Posts
wire the coils into a 2 ohm load and run it off of one channel. never use 2 channels for a DVC speaker. bad things will happen.

use wood glue to hold the box together, and use screws to keep it together while the glue dries, then just leave in the screws. dont forget to seal all seams with silicone.

dont go to a stereo store and buy poly fill. just go to wal mart and get pillow stuffing, then stuff thebox with that, works just as well.

feel free to ask any more questions
. ill help ya as much as possible

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my amp is a pyramid royal red 2000 watt max 4 channel bridgable amp.
it is about 200watts rms x4 at 2ohm or something like that...
could i run the sub to 2 channels at 4 ohms? each coil to its own channel?

if i do it your way, i will have 3 extra channels.
just tryin to get the best use of my amp.

im not going to carpet the box, probably just stain and gloss after sanding.

so if i make all the cuts at 16x16 inches, how much cubic feet will i have??

im new at box building sorry.

also what about making the box not as tall, and puting the sub facing up?
would it sound good that way?

what would you build if you had my setup?????

·
Registered
746 Posts
making the box 16"x16"x16" will yield 3.375 cubes, that woulc be good, especially if it site tall enough in the trunk to where there isnt room for it to tip

as for the amp, run all 4 channels on the sub. bridge them all together and wire your sub to 2 ohms. that oughta do ya good.

as for finishing the box, one trick i like to do is to get some of that textured spray paint that is supposed to look like stone. that stuff is cheap and good

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i dont understand how to do that wiring of the sub/amp
could i just wire the dvc's to 1 single channel? or bridge 2 channels and wire them to the sub?
i really need a picture lol'

IM STUPID!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just tell me the box you would build for this sub then i will try to build it,
because i cant make my own decisions ;(

·
Registered
746 Posts
because i cant make my own decisions ;([/b]
haha. ive been there before. i never can make up my mind when i do my installs, it always drives my buddy's who are helping me crazy.

but as for the box, i would go with the 16"x16"x16" deal i told you. that will be simple and i really dont think that tipping will be much of an issue (the box will be too tall to flip if it is wedged in there). that box should be really simple, all cuts are the same.

as for the wire diagram... give me some time, i just got home from school and i am o nmy parents computer when im not at work (which is pretty much all the time). but ill get something up here to help ya out with that. in the meantime build the box and let me know how it comes out
. werd.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts